hunting pressure near Mt. Cabot

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dRitter

Reaction score
I'm planning on a November hike to Cabot (probably a loop from the hatchery that encompasses Terrace Mt.) and was wondering how much hunting pressure the woods around those trails gets. Gun season for deer will be open by then, anyone know how many hunters frequent the area?

The logging roads around the Hatchery do get a lot of hunting traffic. Many residents of the surrounding area hunt. I've passed a few around the lower part of Bunnel Notch before. Usually are pretty cool people, out enjoying the woods just like you and I.

However, I find they are usually only on the trail for a short distance. Their intent is to get away from trails, as the movement of hikers tend to scare off the game.

Wear some orange and take other standard precautions.

Kilkenny area gets lots of hunters, but they tend to stay low, and the higher you get, the less hunters. Be very cautious on the first and last 1/2 mile and you should be good. I climbed Terrace on 10/30/04 and there were hunters in the area, but no we saw none on the trails. Dress like a hunter: wear lots of orange - hunters don't tend to shoot themselves. If you dress smart, deer season is no more dangerous than any other to hikers IMHO.

Chester and I had a very enjoyable hike to the summit of Cabot with a very large hound that was radio collared for bear hunting. The hound didn't seem very interested in hunting and looked like he would rather go hiking. It was the most mellow dog I have ever seen. It just moped along with us. I had the feeling it would have continued on with us across the ridge but I made sure it hooked up with someone else going back down the trail.

Sounds like my coonhound. Bred for chasing bears, raccoons, and other game up a tree. Mine has picked up various knicknames: "Porchsitter" and "Suncatcher" amongst the most wildly used. She can sit on a sunny porch for 8 hours. I can't imagine that dog hunting!

What is scary is if that hound you saw wasn't a good hunter, she may end up in a rescue shelter as some only want them for hunting :(