I got engaged at Avalanche Lake!

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

joshco7

Reaction score
After many years of friendship, love, and adventure I asked my girlfriend Rachel to marry me between the "hitch-up matildas" at Avalanche Lake. It was Thursday June 17th, we set up camp at Avalanche Camp, then hiked up to Avalanche Lake. There was nobody around, it was quiet and peaceful, and the perfect opportunity to give her the ring. She said "YES." Rachel and I have hiked and backpacked over 500 miles together, most of those miles were covered in Washington State, but we're looking forward to adding up the miles together in the northeast. We are both from Connecticut so it was nice to get engaged in the northeast, we know we can visit the lake anytime we would like. That night we enjoyed a small bottle of champagne I secretly packed in and also had a bear visit our camp at 3:45AM to investigate our bear canister, a great addition to our story. The next day we climbed to the false summit of Mt. Colden and relaxed for the afternoon, we also investigated Indian Falls on our way back to Avalanche Camp. Mt. Colden was very quiet, didn't see anybody all day, Indian Falls was also empty. We hiked out on Saturday and passed tons of people hiking in, it was nice to be leaving before things got over crowded. Staying away from Marcy and Algonquin helped us avoid people and made our experience a lot more personal and wilderness like. Happy trails to all!!!!!

Josh

The hardest part of any marriage is after the wedding...

Bravo! May you have many years of happiness together.

(Mrs. G and I "honeymooned" for the better part of a week in a leanto alongside the Opalescent at Lake Colden, 35 years ago and about 10 months after we got hitched -- it was our first real escape together and persists in memory as a truly golden time.)

G.

Josh,
Best of luck to you and your bride. It was about 27 years ago that I proposed to my wife on the Yellow Triangle trail in Harriman State park, on a ledge overlooking Tuxedo and the Ramapo Valley. Fifteen minutes after the proposal, a Scout Troop came down the trail, and the adult leader was one of my closest friends. I had no idea they would be there, and what timing.
May you be as lucky as I was in your choice of a mate, and have many long hikes together.
Tom

congrats!
on june 4th i proposed to my longtime love ontop of algonquin,
the hardest part was getting her up the last 200ft or so.
when we got back to the loj we took a victory paddle around heart lake.
now she wants to go up trap dike.:D

Congratulations to you both on your respective engagements!!! It's wonderful that you could incorporate the mountains and hiking (things you love) with this special moment with the person you love. I hope it makes every trip, every peak all the more special through your shared futures!
:cool:

Wow, I'm getttin all teary eyed and whatnot.

Really, that's beautiful, I pray both of you newly engaged couples have many years of peace together. It will be three years in August that my wife and I have been married after starting as high school sweethearts. Marrying her was the best thing that happened to me after Jesus changed my life.

Congratulations!

Married

My wife and I were married on Wright Peak a little less than 3 years ago. I highly recomend a High Peaks wedding!
Congrats on the proposal and good luck with your wedding.

Mike G.

Good luck to you both. I love Avalanche Pass & Avalanche Lake, but I don't think that I'll ever get my wife up there. There's something very special about descending from the pass and getting your first look at Avalanche Lake. Also try it in the winter, when you can walk up the middle of the lake. I think that a VFTT wedding & party would be a blast! Certainly unique...

The Zeacliffs in the Pemigewassett wilderness was where I proposed I couldn't have chosen a better place or day. I've never been to Avalanche Pass but it sounds perfect.

The best to you both :)