Ice axe used against a grizzly

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
J

Jim W

I wish I was smart enough to attach the link.
There is a story at howiecarr.com web site.
In the story a guy claims to have buried his ice axe into an attacking grizzly bear while at Denali National Park.
Can someone figure out how to link the story here?
The story has not been verified and the bear has not been located. It supposedly has twin cubs, also.

Last edited:
Alaska

I had read about the griz encounter from 2 other news sources, neither of which mentioned the ice axe. The hiker was not injured, and he continued with his backcountry plans. I believe that he was from Norway. For those of you who are interested in Alaska stories, a great source is the Anchorage Daily News online at www.adn.com

UPDATE: I found the "ice axe" story and realize that there may have been two different encounters recently. The story that I had read elsewhere concerned a solo hiker from Scandanavia who then continued with his trip. It's quite odd that both grizz encounters resulted in virtually no injuries to any of the hikers. I'll wait to see if the NPS confirms any of this.

Last edited:
http://www.registerguard.com/news/2004/08/07/a7.nat.denalibear.0807.html

August 7, 2004

Hiker's report of grizzly attack prompts closure

The Associated Press

ANCHORAGE - Officials closed a backcountry area of Denali National Park after a hiker told rangers he had driven off an attacking grizzly bear by burying his ice ax in the animal's back.

Park Service spokeswoman Kris Fister said Roberto Cataldo, 29, of Modena, Italy, reported the encounter Monday. A nearly 50-square-mile tract that encompasses the area where Cataldo said he had hiked was closed indefinitely.

Cataldo was treated for scratches on his left forearm Tuesday and was questioned by Park Service rangers. Fister did not know Thursday if Cataldo was still in the park, which is about 175 miles from Anchorage.

Cataldo told rangers he was about to photograph caribou when he heard something behind him. He turned and saw a grizzly bear with two cubs 40 to 50 feet away.

As the bears approached, Cataldo dropped to the ground in a fetal position, Fister said. He said when he felt the largest bear's weight on his neck and left shoulder, he swung the ax.

Last edited:
why am I skeptical?

This story does not make any sense to me, a griz with cubs scared off, and only scratches to show for the encounter. It seems to me an ax in the back would only be a minor irritation for one of these giants.
If true, a very lucky hiker indeed...

Last edited:
Ditto, Bob, I'm skeptical as well. Sounds like a fish story to me.......

Last edited:
When I was out in Jackson, Wyoming I came across a story about John Colter or Jeremiah Sourdough or one of those early trappers/explorers who was caught off guard, by a grizzly, without his rifle. In the scuffle that ensued he managed to lodge his arm in the throat of the bear while he proceeded to chew through the bear's neck and severed a major artery. A local veterinarian later confirmed that wounds to both participants matched the story.

While you sip a tall one, you can see this grizzly proudly displayed at the Million Dollar Cowboy Bar in beautiful downtown Jackson. I suggest hanging around town for a few days before heading out to the mountains ... it helps you acclimate to the attitude.