Ice Climbing Boots

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

duane

Reaction score
What is the climbing boot of choice these days? I'm currently wearing Koflach Expe boots which are like having anchors tied to my feet. I was thinking of moving on to a lighter weight leather boot that will still accomodate Black Diamond Cyborg crampons.

Thanks.

duane

What is the climbing boot of choice these days? I'm currently wearing Koflach Expe boots which are like having anchors tied to my feet. I was thinking of moving on to a lighter weight leather boot that will still accomodate Black Diamond Cyborg crampons.

Thanks.

duane

My old climbing boots are comfortable, warm, but beyond what I need now. Does anyone still look for or use the Scarpa Inferno or that too old school?

boots

Go to lasportiva's website, they make the finest mountaineering boots in the world bar none. Just be prepared, they will dent your wallet. As far as plastics go, your living in the past man.

Nepal Evo - pricey but built to last. Can't go wrong if you get the right size.

Another vote for the La Sportiva Nepal EVO. I used to have the Trango Ice, which is the Trango Prime basically now. I used the Ice's for about two seasons but after losing feeling for about a week in three of my toes I traded up to the Nepals. The Nepals have a fairly wide toe box unlike the Ice's.

I know a few people who used to be Nepal wearers for quite a while, who have switched over to the Mammut Mamook and love them.

Most people I know are using leather boots now except for when they are going way way out or doing higher altitude climbs. Leathers are much warmer and way less clunky than plastics. I have a set of Arctic Expe that I haven't touched in about 3 or 4 years.

Scarpa, Mammut, and Sportiva all have great boots available. It's less about the name and all about the fit. Go and try on the boots and compare them. It can be helpful to try them on after a full day of hiking or climbing when your feet are the most swollen. Good luck.

Depends on your foot. Mine are 4E and I don't fit the nicer, newer boots. I use my Degres cuz they fit.

When is the climbing world gonna take car of us wide footed people. I wish my feet would fit in nepal evos but no dice:mad:

Go to lasportiva's website, they make the finest mountaineering boots in the world bar none. Just be prepared, they will dent your wallet. As far as plastics go, your living in the past man.

I second this. I have a pair of Koflach Verticals and they are supposed to be more designed for ice than the expes, but they are not even close in performance to when I've used La Sportivas. I like the koflachs for alpine ascents, but they will burnout your calves quick on vertical ice

Depends on your foot. Mine are 4E and I don't fit the nicer, newer boots. I use my Degres cuz they fit.

When is the climbing world gonna take car of us wide footed people. I wish my feet would fit in nepal evos but no dice:mad:

I have terrible feet, I have the arch of a size 13, the total foot length of an 11.5, the width (for an 11.5) of a 4E (but normal for a 13), and a low volume (flat) foot. I just got a pair of Scarpa phantom guides (I have bought and sold cars for less money than the MSRP of these boots) but they were the only one that fit.

I'll second what everyone else has said, the best mountaineering/ice boot is the one that fits.

I second this. I have a pair of Koflach Verticals and they are supposed to be more designed for ice than the expes, but they are not even close in performance to when I've used La Sportivas. I like the koflachs for alpine ascents, but they will burnout your calves quick on vertical ice

From what I've read, the vertical model is just a smaller shell arctis expes with a thinner liner (to give more of a technical feel, with less insulation)

Climbing Boot Update

After trying on numerous boots, I bought the Nepal EVO because of the fit. They looked like they were going to be tight but they accommodate my bunions quite nicely. I got to use them two weekends ago while ice climbing in the Keene, NY area and they are awesome.

Thanks for the advice!

duane