Icespikes - new traction aid

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
The security of the screw in the shoe/boot may depend on the physical characteristics of the sole material. I have stabilicers and they have begun to loose screws--a very dangerous condition.

When I bought a pair of stabilicers, it ended up being a defunct pair, so the little screws came out after only one hike. It made for an interesting descent of Kearsarge North along those ledges.

These look like more of the same, perhaps they are more sturdy and don't get as damaged, but the hillside trail crampons I just bought, which are similar to microspikes, but have a strap, and seem to be a bit more sharp. I like them, and will be sticking with them.

If you just want screws without the hype or high price, MF44 is the place to get them. Where the "IceSpike" site speaks of the superiority of their screws, they are making a comparison to run-of-the-mill sheetrock screws, NOT the specialized and very durable screws designed for motorcycle ice racing.

100 5/8" "Eliminators" for $18.

Anyone else notice the mailing address of IceSpikes is in Florida? Hmm...

Now, if it said Billings, MT or Superior, MI ...

Edit - would just like to add: while this is probably a good product, I think Tim's earlier solution has much to commend it should you decide to take this approach to winter traction.

Last edited:
Some of the claims are interesting:

They won't get lost or fall out. Yeah, sure they won't!

Adds no additional weight. Wow! A scientific breakthrough, weightless screws!

10 times more durable (than screw shoes). How is this measured exactly?

Will not damage the shoe sole. I guess that depends on how you define the word "damage". A bunch of holes in my boots sure seems damaging to me.

Give you peace of mind on the most treacherous terrain. Well, on the most treacherous terrain, I think I'll just trust my crampons, thank you very much.

:D

Last edited:
Construction workers have been using #8 hex head Tek screws in their work boots for years to prevent falling off icy buildings in winter. We used the hardened steel variety, they last longer walking on concrete all day.

But using screws in the soles of your hiking boots can damage the waterproofing integrity... and they do fall out. I always bought new boots in the Spring anyway so I didn't care if it made holes in the soles.

Tek screws come in all flavors n sizes....
http://www.allpointsfasteners.com/HEX-WASHER-HEAD-SELFDRILLING-SCREWS.html

Microspikes have been my backpacking ice walkers now for the past few years, n I love em!

FWIW, I glued the screws in my Stabilicers with Shoe Goo. None lost so far, but I didn't use them very much. Perhaps this tactic will help for other screws in other soles.

Doug

The motorcycle ice racing screws of the latest generation (fat threaded) stay put just fine if mounted into boots with a fairly stiff sole of medium thickness and hardness. A thin squishy shoe with soft rubber would be on the other end of the spectrum as far as screw loss.

The sheet metal type screws are fine for flat surfaced ice, but are pretty inadequate on ice that is even moderately bumpy due to the shallow heads, and the meager threads make them much less secure.

As far as waterproofing being compromised, I have never seen that arise as an issue in using screwboots, but I suppose if the outsole had some kind of hollow compartments that could be an issue.