Icing on the Cake - The Ice Gulch!

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

frytz

Reaction score
After a 12 hour hike under the sun all day on Saturday, I was looking for a relatively short local hike on Sunday! And with the temperature predicted to reach the mid 90's, I looked for someplace cool, in more ways than one!
The Ice Gulch Loop in Randolf looked like it would fit the bill. It was 90 in Gorham when I started out, and 84 at the trail head on Randolf Hill Road. I took the Ice Gulch Trail in to the foot of the Gulch. This section of trail was 2 miles, and is generally level with modest ups and downs. There were some wet spots and a bit of mud, but the trail was generally good. Just before reaching the foot of the Ice Gulch, the trail went very steeply down to the brook. This was a precursor of things to come!
The trail turned north, essentially in the brook for a short distance - then the brook went underground, and could be heard babbing under the boulders for a while. Then all became silent, the temperature dropped about 20 degrees, and the jumble of massive boulders began! The route was blazed orange - a good thing, since any deviation can lead to a dangerous position. The trail remained deep in the gorge for 1.4 miles, and the only ways out were straight ahead, or back the way I came. The walls of the gorge towered at least 100 feet straight above, with overhanging, none to stable looking cliffs on both sides! Progress was slow, and long legs and strong arms were a real necessity. As I climbed out of each "chamber" of boulders, it would seem like the gulch was ending, but I would just descend into the next chamber. I did have lunch in a cool spot, resting my drink on a shelf of ice!
There was quite a bit of ice and snow in the lower areas, and I even walked on snow and ice. There were some sections where several cut pine boughs formed a very dicey bridge over gapping holes between boulders. Luckily, since I got a late start, and the weather had been dry for a few days, most of the boulders were fairly dry, and not slippery. This changed near the head of the gulch - boulders were wet and mossy, and great care had to be taken (and maybe a few prayers!!). Finally, the trail climbed extemely steeply out of the gulch, and the water started to flow again - at the temperature climbed!
At the top of the Gulch, I took the Cook Path out to the Boothman Springs Cutoff, then out to Randolf Hiil Road, and walked back up the road to my car. It was 94 at that point!
The trails in and out were clearly moose paths. Hoof prints, and more organic signs covered the trails. On the way out, I saw a moose. As I approached, it thundered away, crashing through the brush!
I took 1 hour and 45 minutes to get through the 1.4 miles of the gulch, and I could not have done it any faster. It is truly an amazing place. It makes Mahoosuc Notch look like the kiddie playground at Burger King! I would definitely recommend against doing it alone! Learn by my foolishness! In case of injury, you would be in deep trouble in there, and two or more people can help each other across some very difficult gaps. I can't imagine how a rescue party would even be able to evacuate a disabled hiker! It is certain that there would be no cell phone signal in there!
So, I did find a hike that was relatively short (6.5 miles), local and cool, but maybe the Traverse on Saturday was the easier hike!

Fred

Wow,

Congrats on making it through. THis is truly an amazing place, and I agree, the most difficult mile I've ever hiked! Beautiful though.

Glad you had a great weekend Fred. I'm hoping to head up to Ice Gulch one of these days and your report has really whetted my appetite

It was nice to meet you and hike with you (well, trail behind you, really) heading up Valley Way. Thanks for the updated note on my car windshield so that Jade and I knew you were all set. We didn't get out until 10 :eek: and were really hoping you weren't still waiting for us