If you not hiking this weekend...well, I am sorry.

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Took a glorious hike up Bemis Mt. in Western Maine on Sunday. Took the the AT up and did some short bushwhacks to some cool open ledges (see post on TC). Fall is well along in Rangeley, with leaves raining down at lower elevations whenever the slightest wind blows. Love the different colors that the low elevation sunlight brings, too.

Did not see a cloud. Did not see a person. All I saw were four large grouse who briefly made my heart stop when they took off (as usual).

Sat: 40 mile bike ride
Sun:70 mile bike ride
Today:4 mile kayak on Putnam Lake (just got back)
Next weekend: more of the same. No hiking, but don't be sorry. John

Wow!

So that was possibly the best weather I have ever experienced in the Whites. Every single day was wonderful and clear and the nights were cold with the moon taking over for the sun. I still can't get over it. Went up Willey on Saturday and Franklin on Sunday. Each night I camped at my secret spot along the Pemi. If I could hug mother nature, I would.

P.S. Nice hiking with you Alan.

Thanks for starting this thread!!! There were many nuisance reasons to not hit the trail (yard work, late start, etc.), but the messages here led me to push for a hike anyway on Sunday. What a day! Made it up Bromley with the whole family and had a great time at the top.

PS: Bromley got me thinking about a topic I will start a new thread for.

In addition to 120 miles visibility and no measureable precipitation, there was a temperature inversion which had temps on the mountains about 20-30 degress higher than the valleys, depending on your elevation. I enjoyed it from Ike, Pierce and Jackson.