If you not hiking this weekend...well, I am sorry.

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Yeah, it looks great! I'll be at an astrophysics symposium this weekend in Albany ( I know, Geek alert! :eek: :D ), but I'll be hiking Sunday afternoon!

Plus, Saturday is my birthday! Looks like it will be a great weekend! :D

I won't be hiking but I'll be kayaking. OOPS! :eek: wrong forum.

Between the tourists, and the leaf peepers, and the perfect weather, and the 3-day weekend, the trails are going to resemble Rt 128 at rush hour!

Whats the over/under on people summiting Lafayette this weekend? 200 sound about right?

Indian Summer to winter?

Garfield here I come! Its going to be superb. Hopefully the foliage is still kickin around in the lower elevations near Garfield. Indian Summer will be in full swing by the end of the weekend!!

P.S. Just because I like snow.....and I can't wait....signs point to very cold air showing up west of New England next week. If it moves in, we'll be looking at snow for all of the mountains, possible down to the valley floor in Northern New England. But thats if and only if the cold air doesn't modify, which tends to happen this time of year. Pray for snow. :)

grouseking

Last edited:
Just a little addition....

If you are good at reading weather computer models, check these few out.

Computer Model 1 If you believe this, which is for late next week, there is a strong low pressure off our coastline (kind of like a Nor'easter) Notice the dark pink line west of New England in eastern NY. Thats known as the 540 line and if memory serves me, is the theoretical area of where in normal conditions, it is cold enough to snow . Very close to us indeed

Computer Model 2 The next one shows the low moving north and us in the very cold air. Lots of moisture present and most likely snow will be falling way up north with upslope. Those same winds will dry out southern New England, downsloping off the mtns and warming them up a little. Note the 540 line is south of us.

If you believe these models (yup its a week away, but they're getting pretty good at hinting at pattern changes) and they are correct, expect snow up in the mtns in a big way late next week and possibly mixing all the way down to the valley.

I apologize for turning this thread in a different direction. Should have started a new one. But this was just too exciting not to mention. Let's bring it back the other way.

grouseking

Update:

I was sure I would come home to a different weather report, but boy if it isn't just as good! Low 24 tonight. Ahhhhhh...

I will be on some northern peaks, not sure what yet. I will be the one wearing a smile.

Have fun!

I'll be hiking monday!!! Woo Hoo!!!
I may even get out on Sunday too if I can convince my wife to go up and stay overnight.

Tomorrow may entail a dayhike somewhere close to home with the dog.

Can you hear me whine.......wahhhhhh :( .....we have other commitments this weekend........I will probably be able to sneak off by myself(well with dog) to a little, tiny-weenie, mountain near where we have to go. My husband has to help his brother to do kitchen cabinets. This was started....last late spring/early summer.....

Although I won't be in the higher elevations, I will in fact be on top of a mountain, if that's what yoy want to call it...... :rolleyes:

Enjoy the crowds/traffic :p do be sure to stop at Zeb's gift shop over in N. Conway ;)

The Kancamagus wasn't bad today, but Rt 16N into Conway was backed up for miles.(been playing a bit of hookie this week :cool: ).

I'm having a fire in the backyard right now, and it's crisp and clear, just thinking of where to hike tomorrow. The weather is absolutely perfect, folks!!!

Happy Trails :)

Not to worry.
Like some of th other folks I'll be on the water floating ....while others will be huffing and puffing....ahhh... ruff stuff...