IMCS Recommendation

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Epic Shakedown

Reaction score
Anybody have any experience climbing with IMCS out of North Conway? I have two friends coming in for a visit and am hoping to do a day of ice climbing with a guide. Am hoping to get a few names that I can request to be paired with. I am sure everybody is well trained and has solid experience, but this is a rare splurge for us. Thanks a lot.

Imcs

I have climbed with IMCS several times. I have also climbed with EMS guides. Both guide services are excellent.

Regarding IMCS guides; I have climbed with Steve Dupuis on Rock and Ice, Frank Carus on Rock and Brad White on Rock. All were excellent.

Both of these services will make sure that they teach you well in a safe manner and that you have fun. I am sure the other guide services in the area will do the same as well.

I think Hikerdude climbed with them...

My normal plug for Marc

www.chauvinguides.com

Just climbed with Marc Chauvin last week. Professional mountain climber. Well versed. Good instructor. Marc has an analytical approach to climbing which in the end makes him a safer guide in my opinion. When you go with EMS or IMCS you pretty much get a crap-shoot in terms of what guide you get (some good some a little whet behind the ears). When you go with Chauvin Guides you get an actual internationally certified guide.

-percious

I did a couple days of ice-climbing with IMCS guide Paul Cormier. He was top notch. He was knowledgeable, patient, and was able to really "teach" skills. I've also done some climbing with Marc Chauvin who is an excellant climber, and full of information but I found him to be less "user friendly." He tended to want to do for you, rather than have you figure it out for yourself. So I guess it depends on what you're looking for. I tend to be extremely independent and like to work through things by myself, so I do better with folks who are comfortable watching me struggle:D! But I don't think you would go wrong with either choice!