IMG Guide/Partner summits Rainier...the 500th time

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Chip

Reaction score
George Dunn has now summited Rainier 500 times. The younger guides were talking about this upcoming event 2 years ago and were planning quite a party. I have not seen anything about the party, but congrats to George.

I suppose at a certain point it's just a number, but the other guides and services certainly keep track of their numbers. John and I met him briefly while we were in the shop doing our gear check. He really seemed to be a patient, helpful person, willing to explain relatively mundane points with no ego. I know our brief chat made my hike more comfortable.

yeah, but did he complete the grid of rainier. har har har.

quite an accomplishment.

John and I met him briefly while we were in the shop doing our gear check. He really seemed to be a patient, helpful person, willing to explain relatively mundane points with no ego. I know our brief chat made my hike more comfortable.

^^^This iz korrekt.

Paul and I met George (but not Ringo :D) at IMG when we were hanging out in their lounge before our Kautz climb, using up their bandwidth to post comments on VFTT. ;)

Like Chip, we found him to be pretty humble and down-to-Earth. Just another guy who loves the mountains (and has found a way to make a living at it, to boot!)

Wandering around during gear check, he picked up one of my Grivel Light Wings and commented that he had some memorable climbs using the same tools, but "not anymore." When I asked him what tools he was currently swinging, he winked and replied, "Petzl." (Petzl is one of the gear suppliers for IMG, and the gear room features a rack full of Sum'tecs.)

George Dunn has now summited Rainier 500 times. The younger guides were talking about this upcoming event 2 years ago and were planning quite a party. I have not seen anything about the party, but congrats to George.

I suppose at a certain point it's just a number, but the other guides and services certainly keep track of their numbers. John and I met him briefly while we were in the shop doing our gear check. He really seemed to be a patient, helpful person, willing to explain relatively mundane points with no ego. I know our brief chat made my hike more comfortable.
Concur, definately a humble guy. One of the guides related to us that he was known to get within 100' of the top and say to his guide companions: "It's okay guys you take these climbers to the top, I'll stay here."