Important traildoggie news

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Ed'n Lauky

Reaction score
Blairsville GA ......... Avatar-- On top of S
I posted this yesterday in the Traildoggie section but on further reflection I thought I should re-post it here. There has been another major dog food recall. It involves the Diamond manufacturer but to my surprise that encompasses many brands of dog food that I had no idea were under Diamond including Solid Gold, Wellness, and Taste of the Wild among others. It is a Salmonella problem. Check the link here: http://diamondpetrecall.com/

Lauky is supposed to eat a grainless diet because of allergies so I have been giving him Taste Of The Wild. I went up to The Paris Farmers Union this morning where I buy the food and sure enough all of the offending dog foods had been pulled from the shelves. Lauky has not been seriously sick but he has had some 'disconcerting' symptoms -- some diarrhea, a small bit of vomiting and grass eating that was not at all typical of him over the long term. He has not been at all lethargic and was still charging at the end of his 16 miler Saturday so I hadn't been too concerned. I picked up some Innova for him to try. We'll see how it goes.

Thanks Ed.That was definitely worth sharing twice. Sheep doesn't eat any of those brands but I find it disturbing to find that so many so called "high end" brands of food have these issues.

Ed, I'm sorry that you and your buddy are also in the < recall> place.

We were caught up in it, as well.

I don't need to feed a grain free dog food, but the senior GSD here has Exocrine Pancreatic Insufficiency. Switching foods on the fly isn't something that we care to do, as he has been so well stabilized. I prefer a kibble without corn meal. I had to return a brand new unopened bag of his tried and true Diamond Natural Senior 8+ formula and go searching for something comparable.
What I had to settle for was not particularly reassuring, but YAYAYAYAYA its working, and Spirit likes it! ( in spite of the corn meal!)

I hope you have the same good results.

Give Lauky a good chest scritch and ear rubs from another friend he has never met.

We, the customers, will likely never get the whole story about what caused this specific salmonella contamination.... but have to think that Birds Eye, Green Giant and one's Store Brand of Choice come out of the same fields and share the same processors. Its all one food chain here on the planet.

Do remember that this recall was specifically traced to the source by HUMAN illness, not by sick puppers. I may not like the situation ( at all at all at all) but I do have to give props for the voluntary recall. Humans are more at risk from salmonella than our furfriends, and those furfriends do need us, too.

Breeze

Even the high end foods run the risk of contamination because their processing is outsourced to factories that process numerous brands.

Orijen and Acana are two foods produced independently from locally sourced meats and the only kibble I feel comfortable using when I can't feed raw.

I feed a raw diet of human grade meat, bone, eggs and fish that I purchase locally in large quantity and store in a chest freezer.

My dogs have never been healthier. My puppy Pemi was naturally reared on a raw diet and is minimally vaccinated. Terra will likely never need another vaccination in her lifetime.

There is way too much stuff out there in the marketplace poisoning our pets.
Thanks for posting the recall, Ed.

Another important one is Waggin Train dried chicken fillets or ANY animal food treat or product produced in China - several hundred deaths this year alone are linked to chicken treats from
China - no official recall YET :-(

It's alway kind of scary when this type of thing happens. Our pups can't exactly say that they have a stomach ache. It could be days before we think to look at their food for problems. Fortunately Marlie does not eat any of those brands.

I'm very thankful. I received an E-mail notice from The National Pet Pharmacy about the problem. I've not seen or heard of the problem anywhere else and would have continued feeding Lauky the contaminated product until the sack was empty. I would have found out when I went back to the store for more and they didn't have it or until he got really sick which I hate to even think about.:(

some answers forthcoming

I'll contradict my last post to this thread and say that yes, we the consumers are getting some information from the FDA.

This reference is a blog post, purporting to quote the FDA inspection report of the Gaston SC Diamond plant

http://www.truthaboutpetfood.com/articles/the-plot-thickens-clues-to-big-issues.html

next is a PDF from the FDA

http://www.fda.gov/downloads/AboutF...cy/ORA/ORAElectronicReadingRoom/UCM304252.pdf

Buyer beware, indeed.

I'm gratified and delighted that our switch to another brand has been totally positive. I'm rather shamefaced that it is a brand I passed over previously.

Breeze