Increase in camping

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Aviarome

Reaction score
Here's a link to a CNN article about a growth in .camping and overnight backpacking. They are estimating an increase in 18% in overnight backpacking. Quite a large jump. Haven't noticed too much increase in traffic in the backcountry lately, but has any one else?

Aviarome

IMHO camping and backpacking are two entirely different animals. I can understand if recreational camping increases due to the economy and vacation costs, but backpacking- no. According to the article, the report of "overnight backpacking" being up 18.5% comes from the "Sporting Goods Manufacturers Association." I would guess that they are basing their data on something like sales of backpacks, perhaps? However, owning a backpack does not a backpacker make.:D

Yea...I agree. I know that I've read somewhere else that such an increase in these "local vacations" is due to the economy...and people not really having the money for more extravegant vacations. There is probably an increase in sales of supplies and equipment. It ain't backpacking camping until they actually USE these things they purchased.

I just did a little research of my own - 10 minutes of web surfing - and found this National Park link:

http://www.nature.nps.gov/stats/index.cfm

I looked at Yosemite's stats for the last few years & while it does show an increase in backcountry campers they (we) are only 15% or so of all campers in the park.

All of my vacations are local, for a variety of reasons... Now if I lived in Iowa, I'd be screwed, thankfully with the Whites are less than 2 hours away, I couldn;t be happier. Why would I ever want to go anywhere else? :confused:

Time will tell...If it is anything like the boom and bust of the 70's into the 80's as far as backpacking is concerned IMO wardsgirl is spot on.