Info on Cup Snow?

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JimC

Reaction score
Anyone out there have any info on logging roads approach to Cupsuptic Snow?

Anyone out there who would like to do Cup Snow?

When we were there at the end of Feb, the logging road was well travelled up to and seemingly beyond the Wiggle Brook crossing. I would guess that even with the snowfall since, the roads are being used by snowmobiles. None in our group made it far enough to determine the condition of the trail but given the unbroken state of the other peaks in the area, I would go ready to break trail once you leave the logging roads. I would love to go but have Vermont hiking plans this coming weekend. have fun !!!

sli74

sli74 said:
When we were there at the end of Feb, the logging road was well travelled up to and seemingly beyond the Wiggle Brook crossing.sli74

Which logging road are you referencing?

Canada Rd from Coburn Gore?
or
Tim Pd Rd from RTt 27
or
Lincoln Pd Rd from Morton Cut Off?
or
Some other road?

We drove from route 27 to the junction with Kennebago River Road (beware the large logging trucks who have the right of way). We parked there and pulled sleds down Kennebago River Road (atleast I think this is what it is called) and then turned left over Wiggle Brook. After crossing Wiggle Brook, the road continued towards Cup Snow trailhead while we took a right onto another old road and proceeded towards Whitecap and North Kennebago. Hope that helps. Also, it looked like many of the snowmobile accessible roads are all well traveled, don't know if that has changed since the last big storm.

sli74

There is an alternate way to Cupsuptic Snow and though I have not actually traveled it, (my friends did) the general directions would be to go in Morton cut off and take a left. In about a 1/2 mile or less you cross the Cupsuptic River there is a right about a mile after that that takes you over Portage brook and towards Big Falls. Here is where I am vague because the road beyond was re-built a few years ago and I think what it does is run alongside Lost Brook and after crossing that it runs to the west of Cupsuptic Mountain (not CUP Snow).
I'd say about 3 miles from where it leaves the rd to Big Falls it leaves that rd to the right and I think this part was the new part...after another 2-3 miles and after a trip up and over a bit of a saddle, it reconnects with an old logging rd just south of Bottle Mtn and heads back east/northeast running alongside Cup River again and then crosses that about 3 miles beyond and heads east. My friends did this in 2004 after me Hans and ANDYW had come in the long way (a week earlier) that Kennebago/Wiggle Brook way and were quite surprised to be within a mile or so of the logging road (look for the #26) that takes you to the so-called Cup Snow TH.
If you have new Delorme you may see it, I have an ancient copy here at work so am looking at what AndyW sketched out for me...sorry if the directions seem scrambled but you'll quickly see what I mean if you scan a new Delorme.
And who knows whats open up there now. not sure of the land owner to call. I'm sure someone out in vftt land does.

Wagner Forest Management Ltd may be the folks to call as they may own that land in the CUP Snow area.
this is what The Google tells me... Tel: 603-795-2002
they may have a rangeley number too...??
Rangeley Chmber of Commerce amy help as well:
Chamber of Commerce: 207-864-5571

good luck if you go for it this weekend, I bailed cause of the snowstorm.

I did do some recon on Tim Pond rd -- can only get in to MM13 canada rd is only plowed to the seven ponds/stetsontown TL.

Roads were INCREDIBLY muddy this week, but the freeze last night took care of that :)