Input on Dacks Bckpack

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Seeker

Reaction score
I am considering doing a Dacks backpacking trip this summer and would love some input. First, I have loads of backpacking and hiking experience, and have been to the Dacks three or four times and backpacked there as well.

I am considering hiking from Elk Lake parking area over to one of the shelters near Dix, hiking Dix the next day, staying over night at a shelter, then hiking from there to Panther Gorge, where I will stay a couple of days to hike Haystack and Marcy, etc.

Thoughts, comments on this kind of trip? I can't seem to put a loop together from Elk Lake, and that's kind of a bummer.

Thanks for your input.

You might consider going in from Keene Valley (The Garden) instead of from Elk Lake. Lots of loops available, lots of camping alternatives.
Just a thought...

You can loop it with one bushwhack...

Day 1: Elk Lake, up and over Dix, down the backside to either the Boquet Lean-to or a tenting nearby.

Day 2: Bushwhack up Gravestone Brook to the Dial/Nip Ridge, do Dial and Nip through Elk Pass en route to the legal campsites off the Gill Brook trail below Colvin.

Day 3: Climb Colvin, down the Carry trail to the Lower Lake and up to the Sno-Bird approach to Haystack. From there it's down to Panther Gorge. (Drop packs beneath Blake to tag it if your 46ing)

Day 4: Climb to Four Corners and do whichever peaks peek your interest. (the big four, or Redfield, or just lounge atop Skylight for 6 or 8 hours!)

Day 5: Back to Elk Lake

Degree of difficulty: A+
Degree of bragging rights: A++
How it would rank as a five day loop in the High Peaks: A+++

Doc McPeak's suggestion is a great trip and is similar to a trip I did many years ago. However, being a 46er peakbagger, I spent the first night camping in the col between Hough and Dix (I think it's illegal now) after we got Macomb, East and South Dix and Hough on the first day. We carried full packs up the Macomb slide (whew, I'm tired thinking about it). We didn't go to Panther Gorge but exited to Upper Ausable Lake via the trail down from between Colvin and Blake (can't do this anymore either) and then to the Elk Lake - Marcy trail and out. Day 2 was Dix and to campsite near Gravestone. Day 3 was over Dial and Nippletop and down to Elk lake for the night. Last day was Colvin, Blake and out.

I, too, have thought of a loop out of Elk Lake both for the parking convenience and the thought of getting back to a luxurious version of civilization (Elk Lake Lodge) for dinner. Combined with the prospect of a night or two camped out and bagging five 46s, what else could one ask for? The only loop I found that was reasonable for a long weekend was the Dixes, Hough and Macomb.

Consider a more modest loop from Elk Lake and then move on to JBL or Adk Loj where there are all sorts of loopy opportunities.

The trail up to Panther Gorge is beautiful from Elk Lake. You get to go through this swamp that is just awesome. Lots of boardwalking. Personally if I were going to make a couple days of it (as I often do) I choose to dump my pack in a central spot, and then go off from there.

Dumping your pack near dix is a great idea. You may also consider climbing the herd path up Macomb. It is a beautiful hike with excellent views. If you are going to do Dix, i recommend going up the Beckhorn, and down through Hunter's pass. The pass is pretty spectacular, and there is at least one good swimming hole as you follow the stream out. Look for a small cairn to the left.

My buddy just did a trip from John's Brook last weekend, and he reported that there were people who's food was stolen from their bear bags. I recommend bringing a bear container if you are heading in from the Garden as suggested in this thread. Slant Rock is very nice however.

-percious

The trail up to Panther Gorge is beautiful from Elk Lake. You get to go through this swamp that is just awesome. Lots of boardwalking.

That is what appealed to me about this trip. Thanks for the feedback and ideas everyone!

How tough is the backpacking? It looks crazy steep, but I'm used to White Mountain maps which are on a different scale.

Re: Bear bags, oh yeah I know ALL about it. A group of us were raided a few years back and I will never travel to the Dacks again without a bear canister. Smart bears you folks got over there. Not like our shy White Mtn. bears.

More input is welcome! :)

The trails are steeper, muddier, root-ier and harder to backpack on than in the Whites, generally speaking.

You could do a day in the Dixes, and a trip up to Panther Gorge as well. Depends how much time you have. The Beckhorn trail is tough, but you are climbing, and the trail off Dix toward Round Pond would be the one to descend with a full pack. Hunter's Pass is even tougher, but a truly magical trail.

Give us an idea of what you like. Peakbagging mania? Solitude? Rough terrain no problem? Big mileage days? Two car options? The High Peaks are so dense there are many great trips to be had with loops, traverses, or just in and back--like Panther Gorge.

And eddie, my first backpack in the Dacks after many years was a trip up the Macomb slide with a huge pack loaded up with extra water because of draught conditions. As I climbed the slide, and the range yesterday, I was thinking back to that trip the whole way... especially the lobster alfredo and full moon midnight ascent of Carson Peak.

In fact, here's a sweet sunset pic from Carson's shoulder at dinner.

Seeker, I'll be headed in from Upper Works in July. I eMailed you. I know it's a different area, but Marcy and Skylight (and others)are in my plans. Not sure about Haystack ( I was thinking along the same lines as you for that one, but at a later date)