Insulmat Max-thermo or Big Agnes Air Core

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Gator

Reaction score
Has anyone used either of these non-self-inflating air matresses? They've gotten great reviews from backpacker magazine and from a few users on backcountry gear.

For anyone who hasn't heard of these, they're air matresses that aren't self-inflating, but they blow up pretty easily (in one or two minutes). They blow up to about 2.5 inches despite being pretty lightweight.

I sleep on my side and I think one of these would be great.

I'd plan on using these 3 season only.

I have the non-insulated version of the Big Agnes and absolutely love it. It takes little time and effort to blow it up. When defalted, it's about the same size as a nalgene bottle if not smaller. VERY comfy!!!!!

I just recently got a Big Agnes Lost Ranger 15 degree down sleeping bag which has a sleeve for a pad built into the bag, rather than having insulation on the bottom of the bag. I will be using this arrangement for the first time this coming weekend. The bag is very large which is nice if you don't like a mummy bag, but compacts down to the size of a football - maybe just a little bit bigger.

If you are even remotely considering getting a new bag in the future, take a look at Big Agnes and see which one you might like. Then go ahead and get the appropriate sleeping pad now.

-jeff

I have had/used the BA Air Core non-insulated 3/4 length for a while now. It's great for backpacking since it only weighs 16 oz, packs down to nothing and is super comfy. There are a couple of caveats though. First, I've only used it for spring/summer/fall camping. They say it's not warm enough for winter. Second, it didn't work well inside my BA bag (Horse Thief) because it's so thick after inflation that it "stiffened" my bag up the point where the top/sides didn't drape over/around me. I.e, it created space that made it hard to keep warm in cooler temps. I solved this dilemma by cutting a piece of blue evasote foam (1/4 in, very floppy & about 5 oz) to insert into the BA sleeve then put the Air Core underneath the bag. I suppose you could also just put the bag directly on top of the Air Core, but I like the "form" that the thinner pad gives the bag as well as the feel of soft closed cell foam directy under me. It also gives me a fail-safe should the air mattress spring a leak.

Gator said:
Has anyone used either of these non-self-inflating air matresses? They've gotten great reviews from backpacker magazine and from a few users on backcountry gear.

For anyone who hasn't heard of these, they're air matresses that aren't self-inflating, but they blow up pretty easily (in one or two minutes). They blow up to about 2.5 inches despite being pretty lightweight.

I sleep on my side and I think one of these would be great.

I'd plan on using these 3 season only.

Buying one of these myself this week. got a "closeout" catalog from Backcountry.com and they have it for under $50.00....I didnt see it on their website which was odd, but I didn't search on part no...so maybe thats why...but it got a nod this year from either backpaker or outside mag...editors choice I think...anyway looks COMFY....

M