Isolation 7.30.05 via Davis Path

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bpschroder

Reaction score
On Saturday 7/30/2005 I'll be hiking Isolation via the scenic Davis Path.
The trip mileage is about 22 miles including the spurs along the way.
MEB will be coming along and hopefully she'll bring some goodies too :) !
We plan to start around 7AM, come along and enjoy this long..... hike!

I might join you for an up and down of Crawford only... My family is camping in the notch and i think they are doing Waumbek later on. I'll keep you posted.

This should be a great trip! We'll be taking all the side trips to Crawford, Stairs and Davis, which according to the book has some of the best views!

-MEB

MEB - the book is correct - the views from these "side trip" peaks are as good as any 4000 footer. Guess this means you will be working on the Y-alpine list!

sherpakroto and I did this in early june - it is a great trip - one of the better backpacks I have been on.

- you will enjoy it big time. The view from davis might be the best in whites that I have seen. Do not pass up on that side path by any means.

Davis path was great shape when we did it. There are loads of legal campsites that I don't think are mentioned in books. It seemed like we were always running by one - and wer elike - here is another, another, etc..

have a great time - you will enjoy it.

If the weather is good you will love this hike. If it is hot and humid though it could be pretty tough. At least it was for me.

Enjoy. Spectacular views. Great isolation.

Keith

Last edited:
Could you post a trip review after your hike for me? I plan to do this hike in a few weeks......We have a new-beeeeee in our group and want to know if he can handle it!

Thanks in advance!

keeping on - as long as the newbie is ok for a 22 mile hike over moderate terrain - there is nothing "hard" here. simply a long day basically. there is about 3500-4000K ele change - but I remember most of davis path from stairs to isolation being a a very, very moderate grade. The side paths are pretty short as well.

don't know the shape of the newbie - but it might be a really long day if this person is not to used to hiking.

I had planned to do this hike yesterday but a last minute social invitation forced me into doing the shorter version of Mt Isolation. I had just enough time to do Mt Davis for good measure.

Actually the round trip mileage by going up the Davis Path is 21.2 and the total elevation gain (if you include all the side trips) is just over 4600 feet. Sounds like a lot for a newbie to bite off but again it depends upon their fitness.

Here are some photos if you are interested. If you want to be surprised at the views, wait until after your hike. Just remember, the photos don't do it justice.

Enjoy.

JohnL

isolation on the 30th

i will try to go on hike in sat. it will be 41 for me. i maybe slower than you young guys but i did owls head pretty quickly.if i am not ther by 700 i will try to catchup. i live in pittsfield vt.

Mt Davis is very high on my list of great views. Imagine the Isolation view on an even more open summit, back a mile further away from Washington with Isolation added to the view and you'll get the idea!

See if you can pick out the Mizpah Hut as you look across the Dry River Wilderness!

is now a traverse

Due to overwhelming popular demand! This won't be an out and back. The new plan is to hike up the Davis Path to Isolation, then up to the Boot Spur then down to Pinkham. Please PM me to work out the carspotting details.

sat. isolation hike

i have to leave vt at 4 am.will be hard to get to pinkham for car spot.is it ok to still meet you guys at 302??i will be there at 645am

hike to isolation sat

the weather in vt today is perfect.wish we could do hike today..sat and sun both look good. i wish i could go sun for the hale of it but 2--20 mile days would be real tough for me.you must be young and in pretty good shape for 2 day in row..is your car spot all set. see you at davis path trail head at 302..645???

New plan....

Hey Brian,

The new plan sounds great but do you think there will be enough elevation gain??:D Maybe we could throw in Washington too?? What do you think?

You know I' only kidding!! :D

See ya Saturday at Pinkham!

-MEB

drewski: Our car spot should be all set see you off of 302. And I just like to punish myself with long weekends of hiking countless miles.

MEB: Don't temp me! It would be great to go to Washington too... then onto the Gulfside Trail... and beyond then back. :D If only there were more hours in a day.

But seriously, It's great to have friends to hike with that will keep me on the map. See you all on Saturday!

hale of it

if i am to tired to drive back to vt i might stay and do part of the hale hike on sun. are you staying over in nh someplace??