Isolation Bushwhack on 3/12 Ms. Brown's #48

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
It certainly was a fascinating day having a lot less snow than predicted. All arrived at the trailhead well before our scheduled meeting time where we introduced each other, geared up, and hit the trail. The hike went well for a 1' - 2' snow covered trail, with the group having lively conversion. At about 2/3 into the bushwhack five members decided for various reasons they had enough and wanted to turn back. As everyone but one car pooled together, we had no choice than for all of us to return to the lot and call it a day.

Most drove to the Pinkham Notch Visitor's Center, some changing into their street clothes, while others viewed the goodies in the gift shop and the wonderful factual displays. Six of us continued South on well maintained Rte 16 and turned West on Rte 302 to the Red Parka Pub. We feasted on orders of salmon, shrimp, prime rib, veggie burgers, French onion soup and a little more of the great variety at the salad bar. We definitely enjoyed the large selection of fine microbrews with Red Parka (Hat) and Long Trail Double Bag being ordered the most.

Four in our group left at 7pm having a 3 hour ride home, while Sky and I stayed until 7:30. It was I believe, a combo of the relaxing atmosphere, food, drink and the muscles resting that caused fatique to set in quickly at that point. (Poisonivy: I had on the black outback hat). We reluctantly left as we so wanted to meet up with the hikers from Carrigain and share great times, great food, & great beer. Our profound congratulations to Skimom on completing her 48 and to Arm for his winter 48 accomplishment. Though we did not meet last night, I'm certain we'll make up for it soon. Rejoice!

If the conditions were anything like we had on Hale, I can't blame you in the least for turning back! It was a tough day for hiking.

You guys were long gone before I got there. They didn't actually let me in the door until 9:30. :)

- Ivy

Sounds like you guys had the same coniditons we did over on Carrigan - slow going.

MtnMagic - we must have just missed you - were arrived at the RPB a little after 8 and had dinner there.

poison ivy - We were in the resturant until 9:30 - then went back to the motel to crash - we were very beat after the ong day.

What super day for 'shoeing, meeting old and new friends, just getting out in the forests and mtns to enjoy them!
:)

I forgot to mention that during the time that we were delighted at the RPP, the staff had placed signs on the Pub doors (even several times locking them) and the restuarant doors stating that no more could enter the Pub due to state law. Max 90 in this establishment. We wondered also if you arrived but were not allowed in due to overcrowding. Heck overcrowded? It was jambed!

We'll be back to the RPP. Until then. See you in the mtns!!

Last edited:
bushwhack update

Hi good folks
Just thought I would mention yesterday (mon 14th) I went up and continued the bushwhack for another 4 1/2 hrs to the top of the ridge.
I've been watching this thread and did a bushwhack from rte 16 a day or two before your Sat attempt and read that you had broken the trail out and started a bushwhack. So I went up again early Monday and was at your turn around point by 9:30am. Isolation and Davis were hazed in but I had worked out the bearing previously and continued on following the countor and picked up the Isolation Trail about an hr or so later.
Eventualy it brought me to the stream (perhaps the last crossing) where the stream and trail seemed to merge into one. Travelling solo I was anxious to stay away from the water...it was a long way down..well over my head to any open water so I picked a place to cross and headed due west to pick up the Davis Path.
Once on the west side of the stream it was a steep hard bushwhack with lots o lots of spruce traps . Actually it became a land of spruce traps and trees with their heavy loads of snow bent over blocking the way. Had to fight hard to hike /swim through it uphill. It was a steep section and I topped out on the ridge at 1 o'clock. I didn't pick up the Davis Path and was reluctant to lose any ground looking for it so started along the ridge due south to what I hoped was the summit. The scrub pine was thick and I bushwhacked another hr through it reaching a summit and though I couldn't see any higher ground I was pretty sure I wasn't on Isolation but was on the summit north of Isolation.
I kept to a 2 o'clock turn around, soaking wet and tired. The deepest 'trap' that had got me was up to my shoulders and many were waist deep so I followed each foot print carefully on the descent though a couple more gave way.
On the way out the weather cleared and I could see where I would have perfered to try for the summit ..not as far north.
I don't know if anyone is going back up for another try but I wouldn't recommed my approach to the ridge so I didn't want anyone to think that it topped out at the summit. It's a rough bushwack on the ridge so time was reduced to a slow crawl.
All together its was 7 hrs in and 4 hrs to hike out.
I think that on the ridge the Davis path was just a little more west of where I was but I don't know if it was worth seeking it out as all the trees where so heavily ladden with snow that things seemed much a maze of interlocking trees.
I might go back up this Thurs and give it another try and maybe lay down another track..esp. if I'm rested up and the weather is good.

Last edited:
Two or a few of us are going back soon so I'm very interested in your route. I read you did the 'whack at the 3000' elevation contour 445* to cross Isolation Trail and across the RB stream (both at 3000'). My question is, did you follow the North side of the stream to Davis Path Ridge that ends about 1/4 mile North of Isolation summit?

Hi
No I didn't. I kept to a higher contour (about 3300'-3400') and crossed the stream when I intersected it then went due west 270 degrees staight up to the summit at the North end of the ridge (I named it "spiders folly" for the work it required).
You'll see the contour lines close together at that crossing. I should have taken heed to that as I was enjoying the open woods before crossing over.
Following the stream did not look good to me. There were a lot of deep drifts and swales along the river so I crossed it as soon as I intersected it and left it behind me .
I'm going back up Thursday, the weather looks good and visibility should be good. I'm going to hold more to a 300 degree bearing from the bushwhack route and aim for the col on the north side of Isolation...between Isolation & Spider' folly ( I wonder how many names it has.)
Now if anyone wanted to play hokey from work I plan to be at the trail head around 6:30- 6:45. I still expect it to be a tough whack given the snow depth.
Warm temps could be a mixed blessing for snow conditions.

Last edited:
I see your route now. Not too sure I can go Thursday. I hear you on the soft snow--posthole city. Should be a spectacular day for views and of course, good luck!

Nice link...good advice about the drainage area. I'll be keeping that in mind.
thanks.

Okay....enough!
Let's get this done this Saturday!

Rest all week to get ready for how ever long it may take, but let's do it.

We can all write a book about our adventures with this hill when we get done!

Spider,

I'll send you a map via email with the bushwhack route on it. Let me know where you varied from that. With the snow this deep, I'm starting to think it may make more sense to stay on the trail after the first bushwhack area.

If you look at the map on this page http://hikenh.netfirms.com/PDIsolat.htm , I have done routes E & F twice each in winter, E is less steep. One time some people went ahead up the trail and we took the E route, not only did we find no tracks when we hit the Davis Path but we got to the summit & back before they go to where we came in. Also on that trip, a noted White Mtn author took a wrong turn after a stop in the woods and we met Cateyes coming in for a night ascent.

Thank you Roy. D & E were our choices Saturday before we turned back. Last month we followed F up to the bald shoulder of Davis in deep snow before heading back. I also feel E, staying on the North side, is quicker and easier and will be our repeat route. Juls, Wildpeaks and pucknuts, how about it!

OK I'm in... Let's plan on hitting the trail by 8:00 and be prepared to go all the way. There's no turning back this time.

Heading to Isolation Saturday

It looks like Rox and I are also going to make another attempt on Isolation this Saturday. Due to travel time and plans to be out late on Friday, we plan to hit the trail around 10:00am accepting that we will be hiking out from the shelter under headlamp.

Planning to do the bushwhack to the Davis path just north of Isolation. Hopefuly we will have enought visibility to actually see the summit and make it up there this time!

Maybe we will see you on the trails! Hope we don't get too much snow sticking to our shoes.

I can't believe that I've only been on two hikes this year. Yikes. So, I am all that much more determined to bag Isolation for my hiking buddy, Clark, who needs it in order to tantalizingly close to his 48. We really slogged it out two weekends ago. Oh, so close. He needs Isolation, and WE WILL GET IT!!!! Is Stinkyfeet out there? We'd love to have you along!

Yes, we'll be headlamping out, but we will have salami snacks and chocolate!

Last edited: