jackets - down vs. synthetic

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

spaddock

Reaction score
I've been looking at down jackets.

I love the weight of down but am a little concerned about the warmth when wet factor. I use a down sleeping bag and would like to use whatever jacket I go with as part of my sleep system.

Somebody mentioned the Patagonia DAS Parka, for a synthetic its weight is pretty good (1.6 lbs) and has a nice hood.

Most of the time I would have a shell over the jacket anyways, but am wondering about the condensation factor while sleeping.

What are everybody's thoughts on this?

Thanks,
Shayne

shayne,

if you plan on using a down bag, then i think it is wise to purchase a synth belay parka such as the DAS or something similar. i have the cloudveil enclosure and swear by it. it can really take perspiration and some considerable soaking while still maintaining its warming capability. this system will save your hide if the down bag should happen to get wet.

here is a helpful link to consider down v synth:

http://alaskamountaineering.com/Info.cfm?id=8&d=1&c=0&s=0

I'm the DAS freak. It works well with the rest of the Reguator System that I use. Mine is one of the older reddish orange ones so I look like Kenny from South Park on belays or resting. I cann't say enough good things about the Patagonia Regulator System. :D

I should mention that currently I have no plans to use it belaying. The use would be hiking. On the summit, breaking for lunch, and relaxing around camp.

-Shayne

Looked at the Integral Designs Dolomitti Jacket. It looks pretty good for the price. Anybody have any info on it?

Also, I'm a little concerned about a synthetic jacket not lasting as long as a down.... Was that a concern for anyone else?

-Shayne

I'm in the have a down bag so I want a synthetic jacket school of thought.

I do have a down a jacket, don't use it much. It is hooded, but I've thought about taking the hood off. More flexibility as I usually will have several hats with me in the winter.

My synthetic jacket is beginning to look at bit old, I think it's four, probably has another season or two in it. I don't sweat this much- they're much cheaper (unless you're talking about the DAS parka). I find I don't squish the jacket as much as I do a sleeping bag

I learned to appreciate the belay style wearing of a parka. Take nothing off just put layers on.

Another option: consider putting the parka, whether down or synthetic OVER the shell (get it 2 sizes larger than normal size). You'll stay warmer since you never have to remove a layer to add on. I've used this with success for quite a few years. My system:
Terramar Midweight Long sleeve (sometimes mohair/poly)> REI Lightweight MTS T > Sportif Windstopper vest > Sportif 3 ply Gore-Tex shell > Cabelas Down "sweater" (Nuptse style). I stay warm, and this system cost me less than a "name brand" down parka.

FWIW, I'm a synthetic bag guy: I can't afford down.

i don't think the problems with compression and long term heat loss are as much of a concern for a jacket as opposed to sleeping bags.

i looked at the dolomitti jacket and decided to go with it after reading several positive reviews. three things i particularly liked about the dolomitti:

1. the hood can be zipped on and off
2. pertex shell makes it very light and packable
3. price compared to other comparble jackets

as it turned out, i was in NH on mt. washington during the spring last year and found myself needing some extra form of insulation. i chose the cloudveil enclosure parka mainly due to a reduced price...something like $150. other jackets that i looked at were still full price, and given the similarities, the cloudveil at the price given seemed like a good decision.

my final list came down to the following after researching them (in order of choice):

o dolomitti parka
o wild things belay parka
o cloudveil enclosure
o DAS parka

as to use: most of these are referred to as "belay parkas" but they don't need to be used for only belay duty...they all excel as insulative shells to be worn over all other clothing including the shell. with that in mind, remember that they are generally oversized...so if you are a large and are looking for a tighter fit, choose a medium. the medium may be the proper size for a regular large as well...especially with the DAS.

I took the plunge and bought myself a MEC Cygnus. I had narrowed it down between that one and the MH Sub Zero.

The Cygnus packed down a little better since it's a little lighter, it fit me better in the back and my lightweight rainshell fits over top of it to make it ultra waterproof if I ever needed that. Plus the hood zipped and snapped as opposed to just snaps on the MH. My last jacket had snap only hoods and I mysteriously lost the hood someplace.

The things I liked better about the MH were it had a bottle pocket, deeper hand warmer pockets and an extra chest pocket.

As for the synthetic debate, I'll probably go with a lightweight synthetic insulator for the shoulder seasons when there is more chance of getting it wet.

-Shayne

So, you did it! Tell me, when compressed, how much space in a 40 liter pack does it take up.
For those who are metric challenged 1 liter=61 cubic inches.

Hmm... well I compressed it again at the store and it basically looked like a super dense down rectangular pillow. It's pretty cool because the stuff sack is it's internal pocket. I didn't stuff the hood with it, it's dryloft anyways so i can put it anywhere.

If I'd have to take a guess I'd say about 5 or 6 litres? (my scientific method for this is imagining a two or three 2 litre pop bottles side by side).

Stuffed I was able to put it into the fannypack top of my MEC 70L Brio pack. I could stuff more small things into the fannypack but not too much. Using a compression stuff sack would get it even smaller.

-Shayne