Jefferson via Six Husbands, 9/29/07

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Tuco

Reaction score
Rols (Paul) has been Great Gulf bagging this summer so Farmer (Ryan) Paul and I headed out to try again this weekend. This was a hike we were going to try a couple of weeks ago if not for the rain, Great Gulf Trail to Six Husbands up to Jefferson Summit and down the Caps Ridge Trail, in essence a traverse over the Presi Ridge the short way.
After the car spot at Caps Ridge, we headed to the GG trailhead. There was promise of nice weather, but the only cloud cover we saw was over the Northern Presi’s. We headed up the trail, which is very easy, and stopped off at the Bluff camping spot for a snack and some pix. Here, Ryan became inspired by Mats Roing and started doing pushups. Blue sky all around, except over the Ridge. We crossed the bridge and headed along the river up to the Six Husbands junction. Snacked here, and could feel the breezes and still no clearing up high. We crossed the river (easy) and headed around to the start of “The Climb”. We enjoyed the area back in the Gulf , rough and close to the river and sited a bunch of neat campsites.

We finally headed up and right away some easy scrambling. After a few minutes, we came to the “where do we go?” spots. A couple of tight fits (with packs) under and through huge boulders. Ryan, by far the youngest of the group, excitedly looked forward to each new move. I had to admit climbing through and up the caves was fun. Views started to open up and we could see the Auto road, but still none over Jefferson. Next up were the ladders. I really don’t like the ladders- any ladders, but going up is not really a big deal. After the first two ladders, the second pair is a bit more of a hands and feet climb. Over the final ladders, there’s a 10-15 foot ledge that on the surface is no big deal but just highlighted my anxiety when doing ledges and exposed areas. Made it up OK, and of course there were more scrambles going up but all with good hand holds and decent footing. Wind picked up and the mist was rolling up fast. We took a break in the scrub and put on hats, gloves and shells- oh and of course more food. We moved up and it was very windy- gusts likely up to 25-30 mph. WE hadn’t seen anybody to this point but a group of three came up and were also doing Jefferson. Visibility was pretty good but still clouds over the summit- we could not see it yet. We finally moved over the summit and the winds were gusting closer to 35-40 mph. We quickly dropped over the other side and the winds were blocked. It was cool, temp wise. Ryan found a spot for another round of push ups. We headed down, and due to the mist were not positive we were on the correct trail but eventually we figured it was; the Castles became clear in the distance. We dropped down on the Caps, another type of hiking that makes me nuts, steep drops without great footing. The average hiker likely flies down this but I took lots of time finding footing or sliding down. There were views in the valley so we took more time for pix. After the last Cap we hung out at the views and then cruised out.

We were out a long time, but covered lots of new trails for Ryan and I and saw lots of different types of terrain. Six Husbands was tough work, but felt good after finishing.

Maybe next time out we’ll hike that easy hike we keep talking about…..

Pix can be found here.. http://tuco.smugmug.com/gallery/3564441#202141097

Last edited:
I'd like to climb the Six Husbands trail next September. Thanks for the great trip report, nice pics too!

Enjoyed your TR Tuco. And it's very timely for me. I hope to do Six Husbands this weekend. Looks like a blast! Great pics. The way you have your hiking partners positioned in them helps to give real perspective. I especially like the one of you popping up and out of the "cave." Sounds like you all had a whompin' good time!

Tmax- Enjoy! It was certainly a fun "trail"- but challenging for sure.

Rob- give me a call when you are up here and I'll join you---

Really great to be hiking with you two again. It was a trail & a trip that provided a bit of everything. Your pictures were great...they captured the essence of the day.

The hikes out of the Great Gulf are some of the best. Anyone for the Butress before the snow flies?

Thanks for the trail report & great pictures,

Great TR and pics! I have never done 6 Husbands and it looks like a FUN trail - lots of different things to do. Thanks. :D

Rols said:
Really great to be hiking with you two again. It was a trail & a trip that provided a bit of everything. Your pictures were great...they captured the essence of the day.

The hikes out of the Great Gulf are some of the best. Anyone for the Butress before the snow flies?

Thanks for the trail report & great pictures,

I would think you would want to do the Buttress after the snow flies! :eek:

Buttress

Rols said:
Anyone for the Butress before the snow flies?
I seriously think they made an error in the mileage measurement on the Buttress - because it's w/o a doubt the longest 1.9 miles I've ever done. Probably didn't help that it was 90F the day we went up this past summer...

Gris said:
I seriously think they made an error in the mileage measurement on the Buttress - because it's w/o a doubt the longest 1.9 miles I've ever done. Probably didn't help that it was 90F the day we went up this past summer...
Gris - I love that area, and have not done the Buttress, but I think the mileage on all the trails around there is off...I alsways dispute the final .6 miles to the Adams summit on the Air Line - seems more like three miles when you are doing it!

Great trip report and pics, Tuco. That's new territory to me. You've got me interested.

Ray

Last summer on a crystal clear day, my son and I did our first NH48 peaks up the Great Gulf and Six Husbands to Jefferson, over to Adams and Madison and down Osgood back to GG and parking on Rt.16. Quite an ambitious day, a good knee-pounder but well worth the effort. Six Husbands is a thrilling climb going up the "knee".