Jennifer Pharr Davis goes for overall Appalachian trail speed record

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ColdRiverRun

Reaction score
Jennifer Pharr Davis, who holds the current female AT Supported Appalachian Trail Record (57 days and 8 hours) will be making an attempt at the overall record.

Jenn has a blog here

other sources:

Blue Ridge Hiking Co

National Geographic article

Especially given the recent attack on a speed hiker all her updating will be behind from what I'm reading.

She also holds the Self supported record set in '07 - Women's Long Trail Record (7 days, 15 hours) here in the North East.

Best wishes to Jennifer, who sounds like a very humble person.

So are you running?
"Only if I can. It is great when I find a flat stretch or a gentle downhill and my body is willing and able to run. But most of the time I will be hiking. In fact, my average speed for the entire trip will likely hover somewhere between 3 and 3.5 miles per hour. Most hikers never realize that I am out trying to set a record. They just think that I am a day hiker or a really slow trail runner."

I just read Jennifer's book Becoming Odyssa and highly recommend it. It is primarily the story of her first AT thru-hike a few years ago, which she did "normal thru-hiker style" in 4+ months.

As for the overall AT record, I hope she does it!!!

"I always like going South; somehow, it feels like going downhill." -Treebeard

Darn I'll be in the GA mountains in 3 weeks, to early to cheer Jenn on.