Speed hiker attacked during record attempt on the Appalachian trail

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ColdRiverRun

Reaction score
A long distance hiker that goes by "Nature Boy" was making a speed record attempt on the Appalachian trail "unsupported" record of 60.5 days when he was attacked in the middle of the night and beaten.

"I was woke up at 1am by a couple of guys yelling my name and throwing things at my tent. After someone started to unzip my tent, I started to crawl out it happened. I rember waking up on the ground outside of my tent with a massive head ache. I made it to the next shelter and sat against a tree next to it until it was light enough to see, then made it in Waynesboro this morning. "

Days earlier he reported someone had taken his shoes and moved them. He was ahead of pace and at around 800 miles in the first 21 days.

There is a thread on WhiteBlaze about the hike and following it here.

His personal web page is here.

This really brings to light the important issue of letting people know where you are. One of the safety tips that is always spouted out is to let someone know where you are going and the related information. It can cleary become an unsafe tip if your letting the "wrong" people know too.

It has been put out there in recent years that when going after these "records" that you should be an open book and invite others to observe and join along.

" Be an open book. Invite anyone to come and watch or, better yet, participate. This makes your effort more fun and any result more believable." is on the home page of the FKT site.

This also clearly just doesn't apply to a speed hike attempt but any and all trail journals put out there.

This is awful, just awful. It's unclear if this was close to the road or way out on the trail.

If the latter, then it makes me sick to think a group of hikers would do this to another hiker. It's horrible regardless, but at least having a bunch of local thugs as the perps makes more sense.

Why do people do this? What's the motive???

Hope these jerks are caught. They could've killed the guy.

In reading the WhiteBlaze thread, it appears that it was quite a distance from the nearest road... suggesting that someone intentionally targeted him, knowing where he was. I think this its disgusting that someone(s) would do that to another human being.

Took a quick look - no witnesses but he did seek medical help.

Really creepy as it seems his attackers may have sought him out - makes you look at the various trail journals a little differently (my boss is currently on leave hiking the AT and is not too far north of where this happened and that's probably coloring my judgement)

Obviously targeted. It's sick and disgusting! :mad:

Why would someone want to F over a guy attempting a SR? It's just plan crazy.

Sounds like Olympic Figure Skating.

I am not even able to comprehend this. Obviously it was a targeted attack- they were calling his name? How could they possibly have known his name? He's a guy in a tent.

I'm sorry, but unless this guy has real enemies that he's pissed off in this lifetime, something doesn't add up. Maybe it's just my lack of understanding of the world of professional speed hiking, but I doubt it...

--Mark

This brings hate crimes to a whole new level....

Agree with letting folks know where one intends to be-- but be very mindful of your chosen venue-- just look at all the guests lurking here at any time-- it's surprising how far ranging this info goes.

How is it a "hate crime"?

In reading some of the comments on White Blaze, I thought that Nature Boy might be a vegetarian. So, yes, maybe a "hate crime." But, then I noticed what looks like pizza pepperoni slices in some artwork on his website, so now I am not so sure.

Latest tweet suggests that he went to the hospital where a CT scan came up negative for cranial bleeding, despite a concussion (can CT scans clarify bleeding?). In any case, will be interesting to see if he can continue on the trail.

Many on White Blaze have suggested that we should be " packin' " when camping alone. Anyone packin' this weekend at Barnes?

Someone suggested he was attacked by people perhaps "against" his record setting goals -- that was what I was thinking would be a hate crime.

Sorry that was unclear. :D

But, I guess, in my mind, violence = hate, but that's just me.

FYI on CT for bleeds, absolutely, CT is the modality of choice for acute head trauma's - think MVA's, sports injuries etc. While his neuro signs must have been relatively intact to hike out to help, which you can due with a concussion - not a fun task I'm sure, a CT can still be ordered to CYA (medical term for lawyer prevention)!

The human psyche can take a long and strange trip when confronted with great challenges and fear of failure.

Perhaps he could have even been taking something along the line of Ambien which can cause sleep walking...ie....fall down bang your head....hallucinations from dehydration, low calorie intake, or yeah, jealous, angry people in the woods who know where you are due to todays electronically naive.

No matter what the reality, hope he's ok.

ctsparrow

Meredith Emerson had no witnesses to her violent abduction and grizzly murder. Nor did any other of Gary Hilton's victims.
The two women who were killed very near the AT in Shenandoah had no witnesses.
The list goes on....
Too often violent crimes have no witnesses. Unfortunately our society appears to have an increasing number of hate mongers seeking to hurt others. The AT is no exception. Be safe out there.

Hope this fella recovers quickly and can resume his journey.

Last edited:
FYI on CT for bleeds, absolutely
Contrast agent required for this, correct? (EDIT: brainfart, CT not MRI. Maybe mine wasn't so normal...)

Directly on topic: hope he recovers quickly and is able to return to the train with confidence. This is pretty awful behaviour.

Last edited:
In reading a 29 May post on WhiteBlaze, sounds like Nature Boy's AT unsupported record attempt is over for this season.

But, sounds like Jennifer Pharr's supported record attempt is still on.

I must say that WhiteBlaze seems like a very unruly bulletin board, unlike VftT. :)

Amazing that a thru-hiker would be attacked just because he was trying to set a speed record. I hope the authorities catch the ba$tards.

jnichof said:
Contrast agent required for this, correct? (EDIT: brainfart, CT not MRI. Maybe mine wasn't so normal...)
Contrast is not usually needed to rule out bleed from head trauma or stroke. ctsparrow is correct that a CT scan would be the study of choice for head trauma.