Jersey gathering.. interest?

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
alistair said:
Mark S,
How about a hike from High Point to Bear Mt.?

Bear Mtn. NY, I presume. Interesting, but somewhat longer than I was thinking. Looks to be about 60 miles. I was thinking more in terms of day-hiking.

But if you're interested in the Suffern-Bear Mountain Trail as a dayhike (24 miles, 6K elevation gain) sometime next spring (even associated with the Jersey gathering), I could easily be talked into it.

Mark S, you could do say Mt Minsi to High Point, I think it'll take around 3 days and you wont have to deal with PA. The NJ section of the AT is pretty nice, not as much rock hopping as supposedly the AT in PA is. I've not done much hiking in PA but I have hiked Minsi..

I just did the S-BM dayhike about 3 weeks ago, it is a nice hike with some nice views by Suffern.

Jay

Mark S said:
Jay -

Looks easily doable in two (maybe even a day and a half). Hmmmmmmm. So many plans, so little time.

Wow, you must hike like Shawn (snowshoe) ..... faster than a speeding bullet! :D

Several years ago, a few of us backpacked from the DWG to Culvers Gap staring on Friday after work and finishing early Sunday afternoon. We were taking our time, enjoying the views, etc. No way could we have done DWG to High Point in that time, tho. But like I say, I know others (Jay, Shawn, etc) could do it, and do it easily. (I'm starting to think I'm just an old slowpoke :eek: )

Rob, I will be transfering to Swartswood State park this oct. It is very close to you and a nice lake to paddle.

I would be up for an informal winter gathering. XC skiing is great at High Point from the end of Dec to beg of March. In the last ten years we had only one or two bad winters where Skiing was good for a month only. There is also the XC ski center at High Point where the trails get groomed and they have ski/snowshoe rentals. We can camp in my yard or close by Stokes SF has year round tent camping or small shelters fully enclosed with wood stoves.

The AT from the Gap to High Point can be done in two days with a backpack. I did it a few times. Never thought about doing it in a day though. I would like to attempt it in one day. I think it can be done. Once you get to Sunfish it stays on the ridge with a few small gaps to go through. Jay that would be a good challenge and close to home, hint. :D

Last edited:
AT Gap to HP

snowshoe said:
The AT from the Gap to High Point can be done in two days with a backpack. I did it a few times. Never thought about doing it in a day though. I would like to attempt it in one day. I think it can be done. Once you get to Sunfish it stays on the ridge with a few small gaps to go through. Jay that would be a good challenge and close to home, hint. :D

Actually the Gap to Sunfish Pond is quite easy, since the elevation gain on the AT is very gradual! I take beginners there often to give them confidence!

Fred

Jay H said:
I just did the S-BM dayhike about 3 weeks ago, it is a nice hike with some nice views by Suffern.

Jay

Since Jay and I just did the SBM, there is always the Ramapo-Dunderberg end-to-end! With a few new relocations, it is probably longer than the SBM now!!

Fred

There needs to be a patch for the R-D then! I think ever since I got my patch for Rainier, I am becoming a patch-fiend.. Silly as it may sound... I guess it is better than needed a nicotine patch, in any case!

By springtime, I should have my own house and then could help with emergency overflow if need be!

I'm going to sign up with the Internet Warm Shower's list for bike tourers... any bike tourer going through the neighborhood is welcome to stay at my place..

http://www.rogergravel.com/wsl/vh_for_a.html

Actually, this is open for any VFTTr too, if anybody needs a place to crash, my house is always welcome, just bring ice cream. ;)

Jay

Sunfish to Brinks Road is one of my favorite sections of the AT. Nice walking (when bringing the little one), old roads that lead nowhere, a nice little lake that is usually quiet (Crater), a firetower and even a small mountain with views of the Catskills and the Big Pocono thrown in for good measure.
What a wonderful piece of Jersey!!

frytz said:
Actually the Gap to Sunfish Pond is quite easy, since the elevation gain on the AT is very gradual! I take beginners there often to give them confidence!

Fred

I agree it is still fairly easy but the longest climb one gets in this stretch. 1100ft gain in 3.4 miles. You get this part done the rest of the trail is cake. The next climb is up wawayanda mt but that is like 900ft in less than 1.5 miles.

I will be following the thread and it will depend on how soon you pick a date before my schedule fills up and then - Oh well. I look forward to meeting alistair - my neighbor, but our paths never cross. Some afternoon or early morning we just have to get it together.

I just emailed Shawn to see if he has a date in mind. It would obviously have to be before Shawn gets too busy. As a ranger, I'm sure he'll be very busy on the weekends in the summer so spring is most likely the time of year we would hold it on. Of course, the snow might not be entirely gone in April, but that doesn't matter too much, if there's enough snow, we can have a jersey ski gathering!

I'm surely to keep all of you informed via this thread.

I've got to start making plans for the TBTS charity hike for next year, a presi traverse in the Whites. ;)

jay

You can count me in. I would recomend High Point, they tend to get more snow and you can ski some great loops. Anywhere from 3-10 mile loop. I will keep posted when we get our first snow.

post something on the site about snowshoeing this winter. Even though north jersey hikes are about a 2 1/5 hr drive for me, I consider these a easy day trip....

Yes, definitely.. I have snowshoed the whole area and have skiied the Cannonball trail from Pompton Lakes to Ramapo Lake. I've done skiied from Otter Hole to Weis Eco Center in Norvin Green, then put on my snowshoes to hike up over Wyanokie High Point down Carris Hill.

I've skiied in Ramapo Reservation and a bunch of times in Harriman State park. Haven't skiied up by Shawn, except for around Blue Mountain Lake in the DWG, which was fun and groomed/tracked around the lake.

Jay