JetBoil Helios?

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Also, how do people purchase fuel canisters economically? I probably spend 80+ days a year in the backcountry and have normally used a Whisperlite. I doubt I would ever use a canister stove exclusively, but would like to have the option and would like to purchase several fuel canisters at one time for a reasonable price.

Good places online? I would guess the shipping is tricky

Epic Shakedown said:
Also, how do people purchase fuel canisters economically? I probably spend 80+ days a year in the backcountry and have normally used a Whisperlite. I doubt I would ever use a canister stove exclusively, but would like to have the option and would like to purchase several fuel canisters at one time for a reasonable price.

Good places online? I would guess the shipping is tricky

See my EMS 20% off posting

Last edited:
That set-up looks real nice but I was turned off by the price tag.

Whatever happened to scraping up a bunch of sticks and bringing one's billy can to a boil? :D

I'm going to stick to my basic Jetboil for 1-2 nights out and survive on freeze-dried food. For longer trips I'll stick to my white gas stove.

Btw, is there any way of disposing of those cannisters in an ecological way?

I am sure you could cobble up something that could screw into the canister such that it could be filled from a Coleman propane cylinder. I have a small propane "Bernzomatic" type tourch that I purchased 15 years ago that uses this type of arrangement. Mixing propane and MAP gas would give a hotter flame but it might ruin your stove.

I'm only guessing on the above and would love some intrepid soul to try it and report back. Please wear appropriate eye, hand, and genital protection.

Paradox said:
I am sure you could cobble up something that could screw into the canister such that it could be filled from a Coleman propane cylinder. I have a small propane "Bernzomatic" type tourch that I purchased 15 years ago that uses this type of arrangement. Mixing propane and MAP gas would give a hotter flame but it might ruin your stove.
Do not attempt to put pure propane in a butane or butane-propane blend canister.
The vapor pressure of pure propane is much higher than the vapor pressure of butane or the blend. It may cause the canister to burst.

Take a look at a (pure) propane canister--the heavy metal is required to hold the pressure safely.

Doug

hmm, i don't trust my skills in fashioning my own pressurized fuel canisters!

really, no places to buy the canisters in bulk?

I'll let people know how the stove works.