Just launched.

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Paradox

Reaction score
Holderness, NH, Avatar: Pine Marten on Mt Field
Okay, it is not a canoe or a kayak but it looks a bit like either one. It is the rowing shell I have been working on for the past 17 years.

55503445.jpg

Wikiloc track on Perch Pond

I did manage to get a nice picture of a loon.

55503411.jpg

Looks awesome, John, and from those pics we can see pretty much each brush and sanding stroke ;) ! How's it riding ?

SAR-EMT40 said:
"The real work of men was hunting meat. The invention of agriculture was a giant step in the wrong direction, leading to serfdom, cities, and empire.
From a race of hunters, artists, warriors, and tamers of horses, we degraded ourselves to what we are now: clerks, functionaries, laborers, entertainers, processors of information."- Ed Abbey

You and Ed must not be beer drinkers :).

... Can't wait to hear how you like it.
Keith

... Big long sigh... have to say, I do not like it. It takes a lot of coordination to get everything to work. I had a shakedown cruise a week ago and I had the rig set up all wrong. The angle of the oarlocks to the water line is very important, but I did not know this. Hence, I adjusted this angle. I also adjusted the height of the foot pads (it is a sliding oarlock rig, rather than a sliding seat rig [Piantedosi Oars].) Alas, there is another factor: coordination. A factor which I do not seem to possess. I also do not like the fact that I am facing the opposite direction to where I am headed.

Looks awesome, John, and from those pics we can see pretty much each brush and sanding stroke ;) ! How's it riding ?
My favorite pic is the loon. Beyond that the design seems sound. but my lack of coordination seems to bury the starboard sweep on a random occurance.
frequently both oars seem to get caught as I pull too far past my waist. I do not understand how this could be such good excercise because the resistance of the hull is so minimal.

How did you guess?

Wow! 17 years? Now that's what I call dedication!

Must have felt good to finally launch it :)

Sorry it's not what you had hoped for, does this mean you go back to the drawing board?

Never was much of a beer drinker. I have recently started to take a fancy to ale though. :D

Keith

... Big long sigh... have to say, I do not like it. It takes a lot of coordination to get everything to work. I had a shakedown cruise a week ago and I had the rig set up all wrong. The angle of the oarlocks to the water line is very important, but I did not know this. Hence, I adjusted this angle. I also adjusted the height of the foot pads (it is a sliding oarlock rig, rather than a sliding seat rig [Piantedosi Oars].) Alas, there is another factor: coordination. A factor which I do not seem to possess. I also do not like the fact that I am facing the opposite direction to where I am headed.

One of the things about those are they go like hell. Practice. I know little about them but I did use to watch them on the CT river when I was younger. I suspect like anything, once you get some practice you will be seriously impressed with this boat. Then, when I see you, I will be amazed at how little energy you exert to make that boat go screaming through the water. And, you built it, and it looks great.

Keith