Kahtoola Traction System - moved from Q&A

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

highonlife

Reaction score
Kahtoola Traction System

Has anyone used these, curious about the ones with the smaller length points?

thanks

Thank you...I really found this thread informative and answered alot of my questions for this brand of crampons...especially the gear test reviews

Peace

I have a pair of the original aluminum ones that I got as an X-Mas gift. Have used them on icy hikes in Mass and in the Whites. The most aggresive use of them was an early spring hike up in icy conditions up Cannon Mtn. and Northeast Cannonball, via Kinsman Ridge Trail. Have also used them on other winter/transition season 4k peak bagging hikes. Here are the pro's and con's as I see them:

Pro's
Lightweight - 1/2 pound less than most light steel crampons or Stabilicers
Comfortable
Easy to put on/off
Nice fitting
Good traction on flat and moderate slopes (a bit better than Stabilicers, which I also use)
Easy to walk in, but Stabilicers are even easier
Kahtoola crampon bag is great
Still functional after lots of use

Con's
Not cheap
Not for really steep surfaces - short, dull points (3/4 inch)
Have to stomp on thick ice to get a good stick
Not very sharp out of the box, are much duller now
Points have worn down a bit, but again they still work
I always worry about metal fatigue or losing a point when I am walking on mixed ice and rock

I have recently switched to steel crampons due to the con's, but will probably use Kahtoolas from time to time in Massachusetts hikes.

I think the steel Kahtoolas with sharper and slightly longer points sound great and at least one experienced VFTT member agreed in that other recent thread.

Good luck in your decision.
Marty

Last edited:
Fit on them wide boots

I have a set of the steel ones and they are good for all
but the most serious non-technical terrain. The reason
I got them in the first place was they were about the
only crampon on the market to fit wide-soled winter
boots like sorels or columbias.
If you are out with non-tech boots that you
wear primarily for foot warmth, and you want a real
crampon (as opposed to the elastic creeper things)
this is the way to go.

Has anyone tried the Spider from Grivel: "The Spider is a superlight polyamide and steel instep crampon that may be attached to any boot or shoe regardless of size, without tools. Though not as technical as Gripper the Spider will likely be purchased and carried when the more expensive, heavier Gripper is too much. Spider may be used by hikers, hunters, firefighters, UPS drivers, alpine rock climbers (they will fit on rock shoes), soldiers, snow-making teams or anyone that needs to improve the security of their footwear when facing a variety of slippery conditions." I was unable to quickly find info on the Gripper, mentioned above. I have Stabilicers and really like them but something a little lighter would be nice. I haven't seen the Spider or Gripper mentioned on previous posts...