kayaking concord river May 30th.After W*rk

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Steve-o

Reaction score
Hey there,
Been trying to coordinate a little paddle with Sherpa K.
Target date; Wednesday May 30th. @ 6pm.
Location; Concord River, Concord, Ma.
Put In ; Lowell Rd. ( about a 1/2 mile out of Concord Center. First right after the Colonial Inn.)
There is a boat ramp, But, I think they ask that you park on the road after unloading.
I have an extra kayak, which I'm willing to bring, If someone wants to claim it.
If not, I'll leave it at home.
Long range weather is looking good right now, however, I don't mind changing dates, times or locations, if the weather turns foul.
Good enough, SK?
Oh yeah, Beer said he was definitely in. :)
Steve-o

Last edited:
Have Canoe will Try and Travel

I live in Concord and I will see what I can do. My son plays baseball Weds. nights but maybe I can go for a paddle. I'll be in wood and canvas canoe.

UPDATE:

Methinks the "WWMWCN" (Woman Who Married Wood Canoe Nut) just nixed my plans. How come "Book Club" overrules "Paddle"? :rolleyes:

I'll watch for a future gathering.

Alternatively, let me know which direction you are going on the river and I may put-in later and play catch up.

Fitz

Last edited:
Keep me in the loop; I don't know if I'll have time to paddle (short week means super busy) but I may drop by put-in just to say hello on my way home...

I might hop down for this after work. I hope I don't break any rules if I bring a canoe instead of a kayak..hehe. Any white water or is this a fairly placid paddle?

Looks like you guys will be 1 night before the full moon which is on the night of May 31st I think.... I'm thinking of going on a full moon paddle too, especially since I have June 1st off.

Enjoy!

Jay

Steve-O,you beat me to it. I was just about to post this trip. Depending on the water level,and the crowd,you may have to park on the road. I wrote up some directions earlier,to get there.
The area is known as "The Old Calf Pasture" at the bridge on Lowell Rd. Rt2A off 128 to the center,thru the rt 62 intersection. The Concord Inn is dead ahead.Make a quick left,and right,past the Inn. 1/2 mile on the left,at the bridge.Coming from Rt2 Cambridge area-follow 2 to Crosby's Corner-straight thru Crosby's(rt2 goes left at Mobil station) follow right into Concord center and rejoin 2A.Same directions as above at that point
We'll be there a little after 6. I have some extra PFD's and paddles. Let me know if they are needed.

More importantly-where will the PPPO be held? Unfortunately,the Inn is pricey,and the parking stinks.

(Post Paddle Pig Out) :D

hikerfast said:
I might hop down for this after work. I hope I don't break any rules if I bring a canoe instead of a kayak..hehe. Any white water or is this a fairly placid paddle?

Some current,but nothing too exciting unless the water level is high(doubtful)

Ok.I'll confess,I used to use all the poor unfortunates in the rental canoes for kayak manouver practice in the old days. Scared the #&*(Q! out of some of them but improved my boat handling-and it was fun! :eek:

Bob,bring that canoe-I need the practice-mind being a target? :D

Have'nt heard from SherpaK yet...
He's probably at some baseball game right now, shelling out $9 a beer! :eek:
There is some some current right now.
Personally, I prefer doing the w*rk first. Paddle into the current, and have a nice relaxing ride back. But I'm willing to " go with the flow ".
Departing from Lowell rd.,going upstream the river splits within a quarter mile.
The right fork is the Assabet, the left fork is the Sudbury.Both lead to Rt.2, after about a 3 mile paddle. Both of these routes go through residential Concord. ( the assabet being a little more rural. )

Departing from Lowell rd. ( downstream ) Takes you through Minute Man National Park, as well as Great Meadow Nat. Wildlife sanctuary. Definitly a nicer ride.
I would almost be tempeted to put-in on rt.225 on the Bedford/Carlisle line.
Paddle upstream, through Great Meadow, and turn aroud at the old north bridge.
As far as the PPPO,
There is one thing this area lacks, is a good reasuraunt.
If you like chinese, I highly reccomend the Chang An, in concord center.
There is a 99 in W.concord which is'nt too far away. Other than that...Nill.
Perhaps, DougPaul could reccomend something.He's not too far away! :)
I'm not sure if SK will make it. He might have to w*rk OT, paying for his bar-tabs!
See you on the river, Stev-o

If you put in on 225, just down the road in Bedford at the 4/225 split (which is itself near the 62/4/225 split) is Bedford Farms ice cream. And then just southeast of that, in the plaza with Whole Foods, is a Thai place whose name escapes me at the moment.

If you put in on Lowell Rd in Concord, you can head out the other side of Concord Ctr on Elm Street and where it hits rte 2 are both Papa Razzi and a Japanese sushi place.

Here I am :rolleyes: I'm in for this. Let's just agree on a put in spot and I'll be there. Either place is good for me. I may not linger much after the paddle, and sitting around having a brew in a parking lot is fine for me.

Hope to see many of you there!

Stev-o said:
Perhaps, DougPaul could reccomend something.He's not too far away! :)
Who me?
Don't know much about eating in Concord. Do know somthing about eating in Bedford...

Perhaps more appropriate for the Rte 225 put-in, but Liberty St, to Monument St, to 225 gets you to Bedford pretty quickly. (A nice bike route, BTW.)

MichaelJ is correct about Bedford Farms ice cream. Go a little farther in toward 128 and the Great Wall is in the Great Road shopping center. Good Chinese food including an all you can eat buffet. http://www.greatwallbedford.com/

(Standard disclaimer--no connection other than as a well-fed customer.)

Doug

As it stands now,how about we stay with the Concord put in to avoid confusion.
We can always move the VFTT Paddlefest 2.0 to a different location next time. Maybe it can become a "moveable feast"!

KayakDan said:
As it stands now,how about we stay with the Concord put in to avoid confusion.
We can always move the VFTT Paddlefest 2.0 to a different location next time. Maybe it can become a "moveable feast"!

Agreed.
I will be at the old calf pasture at 6.
I will probably bring a " moveable feast " with me. :)

I wish I spotted this earlier. At least I might have been able to try to get up there.

Maybe next time. Looks like you have a fantastic day for a paddle. Have a great time.

Keith

cant show

alas...work is keeping me here. I will be unable to join you folks. have a great time!

Yes!

The stars have aligned properly. I'm In! See you at 6.