Kayaking with your SPOT.....

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Nice "heads up about the Spot not making good on the water damage.
I've had good luck with mine but I would not replace it if I rolled a couple of times and water leaked in.
After all waterproofness is one of it's big selling features.
also
....I have a GPS which claimes to also be waterproof, I should able to submerge it for water temp and also water speed.
Tempted as I was last week I couldn't bring myself to really put it to the test.
Looking at the unit it just doesn't look water proof enough... and I believe it has a disclaimer not to use the function buttons untill the unit is completely dry again which kind of defeats the idea to begin with....

1 meter and 30 minutes is hardly a reassuring immersion rating for electronics to be carried on a kayak. Seals can deteriorate with age and use and the pressure from a breaking wave can easily be greater than 1 meter of water. (I view such a rating to mean that the device can be used in the rain.)

I'd put such devices in "water proof" containers as an extra layer of protection.

Salt water is also very corrosive--one should also be obsessive about keeping/rinsing it off one's electronics. (The exposed contacts are easily damaged.)

Ultimately, carrying electronics (and cameras) on small boats may just have to be considered a high risk activity (for the device) and expect to have to replace them now and then.

Doug

I agree about electronics in dry bags, but the company should stand behind their product regardless. It's not only good PR, it inspires them to make a better unit, better quality control, so there won't be so many returns.

There is a dry bag with a clean plastic face that looks like a nice way to stow your sensatice gear. Also, it can be teathered to the boat as an emergency kit with everything in one place.

Found out that my old Garmin GPS receiver wasn't really waterproof when it quit after a session of getting dripped on (in the Garmin case) while kayaking (no submersion, just drips and constant dampness). I appreciate the heads up on the poor waterproofing of the Spot as well :(, so I'll pamper my new Spot and my new Garmin.

I'm surprised to hear of a Garmin leaking -- how old was it? I think the waterproofing design was upgraded some years back. I've worn mine externally in all kinds of wet weather/wet bushwhacking, and I've also gone face down into a creek hard enough to break the spring-loaded clip accessory, without any ill effects on the device.

I'm surprised to hear of a Garmin leaking -- how old was it? I think the waterproofing design was upgraded some years back. I've worn mine externally in all kinds of wet weather/wet bushwhacking, and I've also gone face down into a creek hard enough to break the spring-loaded clip accessory, without any ill effects on the device.
I've read of people having water problems with Garmins (fog on the display, etc). Gaskets can get old or damaged.

I've also read one post claiming that Garmin doesn't do a very good job of QC with respect to water proofing. I have no idea how reliable the post is.

If I were carrying a piece of electronics in a location that is awash or might be dunked, I'd probably put some silicone grease on the gaskets and seals.

Doug

My E-Trex Legend was just 3 years old when it quit :(. I also wonder about the effect of water getting under the rubber flap that "protects" the Serial or USB port. The Garmin case is not waterproof, always fogs up when wet, and obviously doesn't really protect the unit. The main utility of the case is to provide a clip for attaching to a pack strap, etc.

My E-Trex Legend was just 3 years old when it quit :(. I also wonder about the effect of water getting under the rubber flap that "protects" the Serial or USB port.
In theory, those connectors are sealed. However, the contacts can corrode.

The Garmin case is not waterproof, always fogs up when wet, and obviously doesn't really protect the unit. The main utility of the case is to provide a clip for attaching to a pack strap, etc.
The case also protects the GPS if you drop it and protects the (soft plastic) screen from scratches. (I also put PDA screen protector on my GPS and camera screens.)

The glue that holds the edge rubber (band) in place on the Trex line tends to become gummy after a year to several years. (Contact Garmin for replacement--they send out new bands and glue.) This band is part of the seal.

Doug

I have an Etrex GPS and a SXH270 radio, the waterproof ratings are the same as SPOT, 3' 30min. I guess puting everything in a dry bag is the only way to go for all your electronics regardless of ratings since these are viatal safety items.