KENTUCKY - Hiking options (if any)

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bubba

Reaction score
Once again I am forced travel to south central KY for Thanksgiving. Anyone have any hiking ideas so I can get away from family!! :rolleyes:

Worse case I could take a trip over to Mamouth Caves! But, that's a couple hour drive from Monticello

Cumberland Plateau

There are some nice hikes and parks on the Cumberland Plateau in Tennessee--nicer, cheaper and probably less crowded than Mammoth Cave but still a drive from Monticello.

The Red River Gorge is very impressive:

http://www.fs.fed.us/r8/boone/districts/cumberland/redriver_gorge.shtml

But still 3 hours from Monticello.

Sometimes, you'd be surprised at what the little local hills provide. A quick look at the topo map indicates that Morris Hill (right in town) has a road, and several interesting features (rdaio towers, water towers, etc.). Sulphur Spring Mtn. (south of town) has interesting geological features ("pine cliff", etc.). I don't know if it has a trail, or if it is posted land. East of town there appears to be a jeep trail leading up into the ridge country...

Have fun and don't get shot!

Thanks for the edit! :eek: :D That's more like it...

In Kentucky, the man said "Let me introduce you to my wife and my sister" and there was only one woman standing there. :)

The first time we went to the New River, girls could still get married legally at 13 years old in WV. The joke was:

"Why do you come to WV to climb?

"13."

"5.13?"

"No...just 13." :eek:

:D

Unbelievable!! You guys are the best. My plate was really full so I appreciate your help, links and concerns. :)

I'll make the most of it... see what I can draw out of the woods!! ;)

Update

Turns out that Cumberland Falls State Park was fairly close (1+ hrs) and offered a nice outing next to some incredible falls. Cumberland Falls is a large, thundering waterfall approximately 125 ft wide that drops nearly 70 ft over a stone ledge. An adjacent trail system offers several wildness hikes. We chose a loop trail to Eagle Falls - a gorgeous cascading falls that you can boulder climb -- fully behind the falls! Much fun before heading into the hardwood forest climbing to a ridge and back around lower ravines.

Thanks again for the leads!

Cumberland%20Falls%20B%20800x600.JPG

Cumberland Falls

Eagle%20Falls%202%20WM_edited-1.jpg

Eagle Falls