King Ravine

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Mike Z

Reaction score
I have put King Ravine on my bucket list for this summer.
I would love to hear what you have to say about it and any suggestions you may have.
From what I have read, it is a must do.
Thanks
Mike Z

I have put King Ravine on my bucket list for this summer.
I would love to hear what you have to say about it and any suggestions you may have.
From what I have read, it is a must do.
Thanks
Mike Z

Mike - King Ravine is a fantastic place. Mossy Falls is a nice stop very close to the floor of the ravine as you hike the King Ravine Trail. If it's a nice day and you have the time, going through the Subway is fun. It's a short scramble beneath and through the jumbled boulders in the ravine. There are some squeezes where packs usually have to come off and it helps to be nimble. There is seemingly perpetual ice deep under some boulders in some years I have seen in late August. The options to come up out of the ravine are the Chemin Des Dames, the King Ravine Trail, and the Great Gully Trail. They are all worthy trails, although I'd take the King Ravine Trail itself for the first time there. It's a great route and my favorite trail to take people along on because it's so impressive in some ways. IMO Chemin des Dames is the easiest, quickest ascent to the ridge but is steep. KRT is also steep but has more loose scree and is more exposed. The Great Gully Trail is on the same difficulty level with KRT with the addition of a slightly more sketchy move or two on the ascent.

You can't go wrong, but the KRT up to the Airline and on to Adams summit is classic. It's absolutely in my top 5 hikes...no...top 3. If you've not done it, descend the Airline and look back here and there.

Last edited:
Moved to Q&A New England where you're more likely to get answers.

There are three trails that go through King Ravine - the most popular route is the King Ravine trail although Chemin des Dames and Great Gully both have their charms. A standard loop is head up from Appalachia, hike the Subway and the Ice Caves Loop for the full King Ravine experience, then up the headwall. After bagging Adams and/or Madison, come down Airline and look at what you hiked. It's not a great choice on a wet or icy day but otherwise the footing is pretty good. If you don't have a dread of heights that shouldn't be a problem, but it's a strenuous hike no matter how you go.

Yeah, definitely go there & check it out on a nice day. The boulder field on the ravine floor is a wild and wonderful environment, and the climb up the headwall is about as spectacular a trail as you'll find anywhere.

+1
KRT is definitely one of the most spectacular trails in the Whites. Past the Subway, you're climbing rapidly above treeline, and every time you stop to rest, you turn around and the view is so much better. The statistics say it's steep and strenuous, and you'll use your hands a lot. But I must have been having too much fun, because the time flew. My legs were tired but my spirit was refreshed when I got to the Gateway. It won't disappoint.

Thanks so much for the input. I knew I wanted to do this hike. After your comments, I can't wait. I will definitely do this hike on a nice day to maximize my viewing pleasure!
MZ

Kings Ravine trail gets lots of traffic to the point where it can be annoying. Camp locally and head out early to miss the crowds and if you go really early the low sun angle in the AM really lights up the ravine walls. Great Gully is a nice alternative to King Ravine trail if cant make it to the trail early. Rarely will you ever encounter other folks on it. It is decidedly less developed. Hiking up great gully then heading to the summit and down airline trail is along loop with maximum above treeline. Only down side is no water once the great gully trail leaves the stream bed. If you are dry you can drop down to Madison Hut to fill up.

Next time I plan to head up KRT. My first outing to KR was up GG and I found the exposure to be quite moderate. The one squeeze is no big deal at all. I didn't even remove my pack. But the trail overall was still fun and a good workout. Sounds like KRT has more exposure, which I enjoy -- like Hunts.

IMHO KRT has far less exposure than Great Gully. KRT has been extensively rebuilt with stone steps for much of its length. It is steep but is basically just climbing up rough irregularly sized rock steps. For those familiar with the Twinway, its quite similar and its far less work than the stretch of the AT going up So Kinsman. Near the top is gets into some sections where a series of angled rock slab intersects a rock wall with loose rock in it. Its not exposed as such but some folks have some issues as its a choice of walking on a tilted slab or walking in loose scree. The trail is also oriented East to Southeast so any approaching weather tends to blow right up it once the elevation clears the ridge on the other side of the ravine. GGs downside is that once it clears the ravine it goes through a long stretch of climbing a featureless scree field. It not dangerous but in poor visibility conditions it would be easy to loose the trail and with high winds there is no shelter.

IMHO KRT has far less exposure than Great Gully.

Well, bummer, but thanks for the info. I must be weird b/c I just didn't feel any exposure on GG like that on Hunts for example. Hunts is really the only trail in the Whites that I have been on where turning around to check out the view makes for some terrific exposure. On GG I always felt very well protected by the sides of the trail and the "depth" of the gully itself. The one really cool section is when you have to turn and go into a short dip and then up to a small perch and then swing left and up, passing under the large ledge/rock where I understand many remove their pack when gaining the exit ledge w/ your hands. But this is a very short section. In any event, the hike from Rt. 2 to Mossy falls, up GG and then to Adams and then down Air Line is not to be missed.

Last edited:
Yes I agree, There is far more exposure on Huntington's ravine trail or even Caps Ridge than any trail in King Ravine. Still great hikes. Nothing to match the trails on or near Katahdin. Abol, Hunt Trail, Hamlin Ridge and of course the Knife edge all have far more pucker factor.