Kyak/Canoe Race, Saugerties, NY 10/16

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TomEske

Reaction score
I'm not a kyaker, but there might be those here who are either interested in participating, or stopping by to watch. This event was originally scheduled to happen on 9/18 (but we were all busy then whitewater hiking). I post this just in case someone is interested:
---------
Irma Sagazie Esopus Safari Rain Date!!!
10/16/2004
ATTENTION!!! RAIN DATE FOR THE IRMA SAGAZIE ESOPUS SAFARI!!!

Kayakers and canoeists, both experienced and novice, are invited to participate in the Annual Irma Sagazie Esopus Safari on Saturday, October 16th. Registration: 8:30 to 10:00 AM. Race starts at 10:30 AM.

The flat-water kayak and canoe race on the upper Esopus Creek starts and ends at the Saugerties Village Beach located at the foot of Partition Street.

Paddlers may choose between two races: a 4 mile course from the beach to the Mudderkill and back to the beach, or a 7 mile race from the beach to the Glenerie rapids and back.

The annual safari attracts both accomplished athletes competing to win, and novice paddlers seeking an enjoyable morning on the water.

Registration is required; the fee is $15. Prizes will be awarded. Registration forms can be obtained at Kenco, the main organizers of the event. Paddlers may also register at the village beach on the morning of the safari.

I went on the Catskills 100th year celebration Century ride today from the DEP parking lot at the Ashoken Reservoir. We basically rode from there down CR42, pass Peekamoiose to Grahamville. From there, we took CR19 towards Denning but making a left to CR47 or Slide Mountain Road. Took that basically all the way to SR28 and then past Phoenicia towards CR42 and Mt Tremper. Went through Woodstock and then back to Ashoken. Splendid bike ride and a great day.

We passed the bridge over by Woodland Valley right off Rt 28 and they had a kayak course setup, with the poles and all the kayakers were just getting ready but the creak is not half as torrential as during the gathering!!! Saw some more canoeists towards mt Tremper too.

Jay

Glad you saw this Jay. Pete and I passed there on Sat afternoon on our way up Woodland Valley. (We stayed at 'Warren's Lenato' on Terrace mt.), and I thought of you. Was gonna send you a note today about it. There were a TON of kyakers there and it looks like they had a big party across the road that night.
I should have checked with you before the weekend, we might've could've met up at some point. I had to work Sat, so Pete and I just snuck up to the leanto in the afternoon on Sat, and back out Sunday in time to cut and stack some firewood at home.
Tom

Yeah, fred and I were camping with all the drunks over at the Upper Field on Peekamoose road. Some wackos were using gas bombs of some sort to make this huge raging inferno on Friday night. and they left saturday morning. I guess all the locals go there just to drink, cause most of them sure didn't look like hikers and it's a bit early for rifle hunting season. :)

Jay

Well, I think most of the locals either stay home to drink, or don't use state land for that sort of stuff, too many hassles. My experience is that they are 'from out of town'.
Turkey season opened on Friday, and I suspect they came up to hunt. As a local myself, I always stay away from hunting on State land because of those folks, and restrict my actual hunting time to private property where it is generally safer, although I have been shot at twice, and both times on private land, by a trespasser from out of town.
Of course I haven't been hunting now in about 10 years, but I don't think twice about hiking during hunting season. Most hunters stay within a mile of the road, as you experienced (and assuming they were in fact hunters).
I would be curious to find out who sponsered that kayak event, and why we didn't hear of it ahead of time. Maybe it's a closed group or club, but I think it's good for the area to have events like this and bring folks in for good healthy family stuff.
Happy Hiking,
Tom

Thanks Nancy for the link..

Before I got into Kayaking, I never heard of whitewater Canoes... Thought it was insane but after getting a kayak (a 14' Impex Mystic touring kayak) this year and getting immersed with canoes and kayaks, saw how the WW canoes do with float bags and stuff. Pretty cool!

I liked watching the kayak slalom during the Athen's games, unfortunately, only saw like 5minutes of the American women's kayak race. :( thanks to NBC...

Jay

I did a couple canoe races in 2001, including the "90 Miler" from Old Forge to Saranac Lake. But then, I started hiking. No more races.