Lafayette Winter Camping

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Redwood

Reaction score
A few of are discussing the idea of doing a winter overnight which would include climbing Lafayette. One of our ideas was hike up to Greenleaf, find a spot around the hut sheltered from the wind and pitch our tents. We would use this as a base camp and hike up to the sumit from here. We are all experienced winter campers and climbers but the thinking is hat we may want to be lower in elevation than the hut and less exposed. A few things. Is it legal to set up camp just outside the hut in winter? Also, does anyone know of other areas to camp, preferably below tree line in this area not to far from the sumit of Lafayette?

Thanks In Advance....
Redwood

Liberty Springs is probably your best bet. Camping within 1/4 mile of the hut is verboten, and in winter above treeline you need at least 2 feet of snow- unlikely to be found in that area because it gets pretty blasted. I've done a 2-day trip that included Lafayette on Day #2 and it was loads of fun. It is really nice to have trees around your tent if it's windy!

Weatherman

BTW, there's no camping allowed within 1/4 mile of the hut, summer or winter. And no camping within 200' of the OBP. There are spots just past 1/4 mile from the hut on Greenleaf trail, but I like the Liberty Springs option as well.

-dave-

The spots Dave is talking about are pretty obvious. I believe they are on the right as you go up Greenleaf. There are several sites along a spur trail off Greenleaf. At least the last two sites are a minimum 200' from the trail.

If camping by Greenleaf Hut is verboten, then they (the AMC) should probably put up winter signs to that effect, because over the years I've seen dozens of of tents set up there. Not all at once, of course, but it's not unusual to see 2 or 3 on any given winter weekend, and I suspect more are setup around the back where it's not as obvious.

Kevin Rooney said:
If camping by Greenleaf Hut is verboten, then they (the AMC) should probably put up winter signs to that effect, because over the years I've seen dozens of of tents set up there. Not all at once, of course, but it's not unusual to see 2 or 3 on any given winter weekend, and I suspect more are setup around the back where it's not as obvious.
It's not an AMC rule, it's a USFS rule. And people camp near all the huts, especially Madison and Lakes. It's still against the rule and it's still disgusting finding all the TP come spring, but I don't expect it to completely stop any time soon.