Landmark coordinates?

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

hikeritz

Reaction score
Is there a website that gives the position (latitude/longitude) for backcountry landmarks? Peaks, shelters, trailheads, maybe waterfalls, scenic outlooks, etc. I'm looking for data I could enter into a GPS pre-hike. I checked a number of websites (Hike The Whites, NH 48, AMC) but couldn't find anything. WorldWind (and maybe Google Earth?) shows lat/lon position when doing flyovers, and I could get some of the info (peaks & trailheads) that way, but the accuracy might not be the best. And shelters aren't often clearly noted in those tools.

In case anyone is wondering, no...I've never hiked with my GPS (other than for local trail mapping and geocaching) and I've managed to find plenty of peaks, shelters, trailheads, waterfalls and scenic outlooks just fine with a map and compass. I just think it would be neat to pull out the GPS and see the distance & bearing to some point.

Thanks in advance for any info.

The GNIS "geographic Names Information System" lists coordinates for about 2 million "landmarks" in the US.

The search feature is informative and detailed once you figure out how to use it. HERE is sample search results.

Many thanks. I tried the GNIS search and it found Guyot Shelter. The 100 Highest list has that nice personal touch!