Last Minute Question "The Perch"

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

KenC

Reaction score
Avitar: Sunset from Perch : Home:Western Mass
This weekend has opened up for me but i have little time to plan. Sooo.. What are my chances of getting a platform at the perch if i get there around Noon on Friday? I know it's still prime vacation season but just looking for a concensus opinion..

Thanks all..

Ken

noon on friday - I would say near 100% (but can always be wrong) at the least - you could have back-up at grey knob or crag - I would be shocked if those were full on friday.

i'll see you there.............my group is going on the assumption that platforms will be available....if not there are other shelters in the area....

Last edited:
Yup, always have the other RMC camps as a back up. I don;t head up to that area too much in the busy season so had no idea how full, how fast it gets. Probably head up Lowes, Link, Israel Ridge, drop gear and visit adams friday then plan the other days weather dependent but it looks ok through sat.

have fun - its a great area - for the record - probably stayed in the huts 10 to 12 times and have never seen them full where they tell people no - so you will be fine.

though I haven't been there in over a year (staying over) and have heard rumors that they are filling up now and its is advised to get there on friday. can't recall who I heard that from I hope thats not true.

I have stayed at the Perch countless times, its my favorite for sure. :)
Over 30 years I have seen quite a change with crowds.

Friday noon, in my opinion, may be iffy for a platform, there is only 4 available.
If you can, take the most direct route there, skip the "tours" and secure a site.
Weather is favorable this week as well as weekend forecast, so I'll bet its full at the moment. Summertime is always full.
As a result, new grounds are getting broken in just beyond the platform region farther up Israel Ridge path. Not really decent sites either, quite rooty and uneven. Basically holding pen for waiting platform claimers.
As soon as Labor day passes, plenty of weekend plans can easily be made.

As mentioned, the other RMC huts can house overflow more easily.

Brownie

Last edited: