Latest Canon A-series

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bikehikeskifish

VFTT Supporter
Reaction score
My A570IS has been awesome. It upgraded my A70. The latter is now completely dead and so I'm looking for another P&S in the same vein.

The A2200/A3300 are in the right price range, and they appear to have the 28mm effective wide angle (YEAH!), the A3300 has 5X (versus 4X) and 16 mp vs 14 mp (at this range with a smaller sensor, I don't think it makes any difference.)

I will say that neither appears to offer the Av (aperture priority) mode, which I do like for close-ups with a shallow DOF.

Any opinions?

Thanks,
Tim

10 MP is a good number for these small-sensor cameras...
more pixels -> smaller pixels -> more noise
14 and 16 MP might be overkill. Note that the high-end G12 and S95 both have 10 MP.

Can CHDK give you aperture priority? Otherwise, it looks like the best you can do is use the modes to fool it into doing what you want. Also does it at least display the aperture before you take the shot? (My A590 does, my SD800 does not.)

Canon has the manuals online--you may find more detail in there. Same manual for both: http://pdisp01.c-wss.com/gdl/WWUFORedirectTarget.do?id=MDMwMDAwNDY3OTAx&cmp=ABR&lang=EN

Doug

EDIT: according to the manual, both display the aperture, shutter speed, and ISO on their information display.

Last edited:
There is a detailed review HERE

I am still using my A570is, even though I've had to replace the outside shell. I just can't find anything near its price point with an optical viewfinder, full manual control, and uses AA batteries.

And it still works just fine for me!

I just can't find anything near its price point with an optical viewfinder, full manual control, and uses AA batteries.
There is only one P&S camera remaining with an optical view finder and AA batteries (the Canon A1200) and it doesn't have manual controls. There are only two other cameras on the market with an optical view finder, the Canon G12 and the Nikon P700. They have manual controls and use proprietary batteries; the Canon is the clear winner in terms of image quality between the two.

The G12 is the closest thing to what you want, or the ELPH 500. Both are very good choices, IMO.

The G12 is the closest thing to what you want, or the ELPH 500. Both are very good choices, IMO.
The G12 is a good camera. The S95 is a similar model--same sensor, no viewfinder, max F2.0 (G12 max F2.8), manual exposure controls (but not focus), smaller, lighter, cheaper.

Just thought it was worth mentioning: Some reviewers seem to prefer the G12, some the S95.

Reviews:
http://www.imaging-resource.com/PRODS/G12/G12A.HTM
http://www.imaging-resource.com/PRODS/PS95/PS95A.HTM

Doug

Thanks, but both the G12 and S95 are out of my price range. I just have to hope that the trusty A570is keeps plugging along!

I just checked Ebay and there is a used A590is in very good shape for under $70, tempting!!

Brand new and looks like a really nice camera - the Canon PowerShot SX150IS.

EFL: 5.0-60mm (35mm equivalent: 28-336mm)
Aperture: f/3.0 (W) - 8.0 (T)
14.1Mp Resolution
3.0" LCD Screen
Genuine Canon 12x Optical Zoom Lens
DIGIC 4 Image Processor
720p HD Video Capture
Optical Image Stabilizer
iFrame Movie Support
Smart AUTO Function
Intelligent IS Stabilization
2 x AA Battery Power

No optical viewfinder, unclear on what manual functionality may be available.

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/816711-REG/Canon_5664B001_PowerShot_SX150_IS_Digital.html

Full manual controls. This is the follow on to the SX130 which was just OK, not great. The SX230 (with High Sensitivity sensor) is more interesting IMO.

The 150 uses a CCD sensor, which means its video quality is going to be far superior to the 230's CMOS.

Yes, 'tis true. I brought it up because many people prefer cameras that take AA's over those that use custom Li-ion battery packs. I'm one of them, particularly for long backpacking trips. I just take a handful of spare AA's and they're good for the camera, the headlamp, and the devil-sent navigation assistant.

Yes, 'tis true. I brought it up because many people prefer cameras that take AA's over those that use custom Li-ion battery packs. I'm one of them, particularly for long backpacking trips. I just take a handful of spare AA's and they're good for the camera, the headlamp, and the devil-sent navigation assistant.
Yes--I noticed the AA batts. (A plus in my book too--I've got lots of NiMHs.) Perhaps the only non-A-series unit to use them.

Doug