Lazy Summer Day on the Basha Kill

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MattC

Reaction score
Ulster County, NY Avatar: Chapel Pond From Giant M
So I finally got out paddling at the Basha Kill wetland, which is only about 30 miles away from my home, now that I know the better way to drive there. I drove south through Ulster County and crossed the Shawangunk Ridge at a much lower point than I am used to. On some of the back roads, I was actually on the Long Path, and I even saw two hikers at one point.

As I pulled into Wurtsboro, I had a moment of sadness, passing the empty storefront that used to be the Catskill Hiking Shack. Even sadder, it wasn't the only empty storefront on Sullivan St. :(

Just a few miles south on 209, I took a left into the DEC Basha Kill parking lot, the northernmost of the access points. The forest around the wetland is gorgeous-cathedral white pines dominating, with hemlock, various maples, oaks and other hardwoods beneath. There are footpaths departing from either side of the parking area, and the boat put-in is down a short, open slope.

I am a very lazy paddler, and this day was particularly lazy. It was warm, and the water vegetation made for slow going. In the several hours I was out, I explored only maybe a quarter of the entire Basha Kill-basically the entire part north of Haven Rd. First I went north from the put-in. I paddled over to an access point on the east side and pulled over for a few minutes. On that side the wetland is bordered by the Basha Kill Rail Trail, which is the old O&W grade. It was very grassy, and there was a cement bench by the boat access and a viewing platform nearby. I continued on a ways until I was in a channel only a bit wider than my boat. When it got ridiculous, I backed out and performed some interesting turning maneuvers-it reminded me of learning how to do a three point turn.

I then headed back to the put-in, rested a bit and continued south in somewhat windy conditions for a little while. I followed winding channels up to the Haven Rd. bridge, then turned around and headed back in a brief shower.

The place is teeming with life. There are acres of Pickerelweed and many patches of Yellow Pond Lilies. 100s of dragonflies zipping about everywhere. Fish jumping here and there, and occasional a turtles head would be seen poking out of the surface of the water. Lots of Wild Roses, some Buttonbush, and other stuff; see the picture link below. At the end I also got some pics of an old beaver lodge.

Unfortunately I didn't get any pictures of moving things, namely birds. The dominant bird would have to be Red-Winged Blackbirds; they are everywhere, both male and female. I also saw Great Blue Herons and some type of water bird-I never got too close, but I was pretty sure they were Common Mergansers from the shape of their head. Upon returning home and consulting guides, not I'm not sure they weren't Wood Ducks. They never let me get too close; they would kind of half-fly, skimming along the surface of the water, until they were well away from me. I also had my first 100% certain sighting of a Cedar Waxwing. I'm about 95% certain I saw one once on the summit of Rusk Mt., but this time I'm positive. Just a remarkably handsome species. Lastly, I heard and caught a brief glimpse of a hummingbird who was very interested in some Swamp Honeysuckle.

My first visit to this place was very enjoyable. Hope to return, maybe later in the summer and/or in the fall, when perhaps some of the vegetation will die back and make paddling easier. The fall color on the shorelines must be amazing here, too.

Matt

http://good-times.webshots.com/album/564090415WYkouF

Thanks Matt for those pictures!
Thirty years ago I lived outside of Wurtsboro and learned to bird spring warblers on that abandoned railroad grade. Great memories of paddling, fishing, birding, hiking and skiing down from the ridge. :)

Great place for birding. Was there a few weeks ago w/ a buddy and saw bald eagles, ospreys and lots of others I don't know the name of. The middle section was pretty busy w/ fisherman, 1 guy w/ a boat way too big for the channel. He caused a pretty big back up returning to the busiest launch site thru a vary narrow shallow "water trail". The place is huge, highly recommend a visit. John

Matt....sounds like a nice place for me to visit in the Fall....I'm getting used to Views From the Bottom :rolleyes: .....I bought a 12 ft Pungo and it sounds like this is the perfect spot to use it....maybe a gathering one day....be well....

coldfeet said:
Matt....sounds like a nice place for me to visit in the Fall....

Definitely. I actually thought of you since I know you're getting into paddling more and it wouldn't be a huge drive (or maybe a "less huge" drive :eek: ).

I also want to get back there in the fall, so lets keep that in mind. The place must explode with colors since there is a good variety of hardwoods, as well as pine and hemlock to provide evergreen contrast. Hopefully the water vegetation will die back a bit as well.

It's also a good place for me to paddle with someone in a kayak. On a river or large, open water, you kayakers would probably leave me in your wake, but the Basha Kill lends itself more to lazy paddling, birding, etc.

Matt

So does the Walkill in NJ... it's a LOT less wide in NJ than it is by new paltz, you have to dodge some strainers too!

jay

I paddled the Wallkill from New Paltz a few weeks ago. We put in at the launch south of 299 and paddled upstream (south) for a while, past a really shallow section (where we had to get out and walk) until we got to the next shallow/rocky section where we turned around and headed back. It was a nice trip- looking for other rivers/lakes to paddle in the Dutchess/Ulster area and still haven't gotten out on the Hudson yet.

mtnbound said:
I paddled the Wallkill from New Paltz a few weeks ago. We put in at the launch south of 299 and paddled upstream (south) for a while, past a really shallow section (where we had to get out and walk) until we got to the next shallow/rocky section where we turned around and headed back. It was a nice trip- looking for other rivers/lakes to paddle in the Dutchess/Ulster area and still haven't gotten out on the Hudson yet.

I live within carrying distance of that launch and know well the shallow section you're talking about. For other area places, one or both of these guides might be useful:

http://www.blackdomepress.com/books/kayakguide.html

http://amcstore.outdoors.org/amcsto...d+Edition&pf_id=PAAAAAMIDPPAEDEL&dept_id=3013

Matt

thanks for the book info. This weekend I took a trip to the Farmington River in Connecticut- I did the section at Satan's Kingdom, as some friends were tubing there. There are a lot of put-in's along the river and with a 2 car shuttle, you can make a nice day trip out of it.

http://www.frwa.org/recreation.html

Matt, keep me updated when the foliage begins....lucky for me I know have saturdays free after app 7-9 years of Saturday soccer with the kids....off topic, my son (16) is in Costa rica helping teach English but last weekend he went zip lining over the canopy floor, got out of the water at the beach because of the giant sting rays and as per him he was almost eaten by a giant tarantulla...ahhh to be young again.....see you on the water...