Lighting JetBoil with empty canister

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bluethroatedone

Reaction score
Was camping last weekend with a nearly empty canister (had back-up of course). Interestingly enough the lighter button's spark would not light the stove, although with a match it worked just fine. When I put new canister it fired up right away. I assume that the combination of low pressure, cold weather and some wind meant that much less gas was around the location of the small spark.

Anyone else experience this? Not really a big issue as I always bring matches just in case, but it was a little unexpected.

Never had a problem lighting, but used mine for the first time in nominally cold weather last weekend, it definately was SLOW. Also good to know it will match start, I was concerned that the ignition piece could go in the backcountry

Last edited:
If it is a mixed gas canister, the high vapor pressure gas evaporates off first leaving the low vapor pressure gas toward the end. The ignitor may not work well with only the low vapor pressure gas at lower temps.

Doug

Makes sense

I was using a mixed fuel (MSR) cannister...so explanation makes sense...I guess therefore we need to make sure we always bring a book of matches when we bring a JetBoil out....