Waumbek-Willey Range-Hale Triple Hit & Run, 8/17/2013

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BIGEarl

Reaction score
August 17, 2013: Waumbek and Willey Range and Hale, Triple Hit & Run

Trails:
Waumbek: Starr King Trail
Willey Range: Avalon Trail, Willey Range Trail, Mt. Tom Spur, A-Z Trail
Hale: Hale Brook Trail

Summits: Waumbek, Field, Willey, Tom, and Hale

Hikers: Solo

In the past, one of the common measures used in hike planning was the distance and elevation spec for a Presi Traverse. Often, the distance and elevation for our planned hike; a big loop, traverse, or Hit & Run combination intentionally equaled or exceeded that of a Presi Traverse. To a degree, this combination brings back nice memories. Do the math; this one is essentially equivalent to a Presi Traverse (more than Madison through Pierce, slightly less than Madison through Jackson).

Initially, I was planning just to do a normal Triple Hit & Run but after seeing the forecast for the day I decided to also go for a sunrise on Waumbek. This decision moved my day ahead a few hours. I crawled out of bed early, really early, loaded my things into the truck, and took off. In my mind early is always better than late. I didn’t mind waiting for the sun and knew it wasn’t going to wait for me. Hanging on Waumbek or Starr King for a while was okay with me.

Waumbek

Not surprising, I pulled into an empty trailhead lot, grabbed my things, and started up. Straight up I could see nothing but stars; the sky was as clear as it could be. I was early enough with time to spare and knew I had this one. I find headlight hiking very enjoyable and was looking forward to having a good time on the climb.

In the past I always hiked in relative silence but now I have some really good hearing aids and can wear them while hiking. Now, any nearby noises register. And, there were nearby noises, lots of nearby noises; leaves rustling and sticks breaking. I’m pretty sure these noises were nothing new. They didn’t bother me before (when I couldn’t hear them) so I wasn’t going to let them bother me now.

The forecast predicted spotty fog early in the day. I assumed the fog would be generally down at street level and was never concerned that it might invade the higher elevations. A short distance below where the trail turns into the conifers I started running into fog/clouds blowing past. Soon I was enjoying a really thick fog that I knew would prevent me from seeing a sunrise if I didn’t manage to climb above it. I kept climbing, and so did the fog.

At the summit of Starr King the place was shrouded in a thick fog. It was still early and there was still time for a change in the conditions. I was really pulling for a change to undercast. All the way across the ridge to Waumbek and then back again was pea soup. I didn’t get a break at all. I was actually back on Starr King in time but with no reason to hang around I set my sights on the trailhead and started thinking about my second target.

Willey Range

Originally, I was planning to visit Hale after Waumbek but decided to head to Crawford Notch and get the larger hike done next. I was thinking Hale is a relatively short and easy up and down that I can do even if I am low on energy. I made a quick stop at the Highland Center, re-loaded water in my pack along with a 16-ounce Monster, and started hiking. The cobwebs over the trail seemed to indicate I was first up for the day.

I was a little surprised by the relocated section of Avalon Trail. I’m sure it has been reported by others but I haven’t noticed any reports. Right now the new trail section is a pretty muddy place but once it gets worn in it should be a nice improvement.

The streams are all down making the crossings easy. Soon after starting out I was approaching the Avalon and A-Z trails junction. I went left at the junction and continued the climb. My route took me to Field first. On the way past Avalon I was tempted to make the side trip but knew the day was going to be long and tiring and decided to stick with my plan. There is a fair amount of mud after the Avalon summit spur but soon the trail starts up through a series of steep pitches and that leaves the mud pits behind.

I was able to settle into a comfortable pace and just hike without having to make many stops. A little quicker than expected I reached the Willey Range Trail. I made the turn and completed the final short climb to the summit of Field. When I arrived I found a woman camping at the summit cairn. Actually, she was waiting for her tent to dry from overnight rain. While she waited, she sat on the summit cairn and packed her sleeping bag and other things.

I wandered back to the viewpoint and checked out the conditions on Waumbek. It was generally still socked in, and there was plenty of undercast in various locations. Spotty fog. I returned to the summit, visited for a few minutes, and soon headed south to Willey.

The walk to Mount Willey was generally as expected except for a blowdown patch between Field and the mid-way bump. The downed trees have been partially cleared but there is still plenty of work to do. A couple herd paths will get you from one side of the mess to the other.

Once past the blowdowns it was clear sailing to Willey. I managed a few pictures of Carrigain, The Bonds, and other points of interest to the west. Then had a quick stop at the summit cairn before continuing to the viewpoint to take a break, have a snack, and enjoy some sunshine. While at the viewpoint I also got some pictures of the Southern Presidentials through Jefferson, and points east, and south. I arrived to the viewpoint having built a nice cushion of time but used some of it relaxing; it was time to go.

First, I did a return hike north on Willey Range Trail to Mount Field and then continued north to Mount Tom. There were no surprises at all on this section. The trail is clear and in good shape. On my hike north I ran into a couple others and knew it was only a matter of time before the mall crowd would show up. I was hoping for peace and quiet until after Mt. Tom. I reached A-Z Trail, went right. I reached Mt. Tom Spur, went left. From the junction to the summit is a short and easy half mile. I reached the summit and had the place to myself. I paid a visit to the Mt. Tom Bench for views to the east and still had the place to myself. Very nice!

Once I started down the crowds arrived. I had a generally steady flow of on-coming traffic all the way down to the trailhead. There goes the wilderness experience. Oh well, it’s a very popular place. Roughly an hour after leaving the summit of Mt. Tom I was at Crawford Depot really wanting to be someplace else. The place was jammed with cars, people, and a train. Get me outta here! I wandered back to my truck at the Highland Center, had a quick snack, and took off for Zealand Road and Hale Brook Trail.

The drive was just enough to take care of a 16-ounce Monster and a quart of Gatorade; after that I was ready to go again.

Hale

I arrived to the trailhead lot and found one available parking place exactly the right size for my truck. I parked, reloaded with water, and started for the top. I was really surprised at how good I was feeling. I crossed the small bridge near the trailhead and settled into a comfortable pace for the summit. I made one or two stops along the way to the lower crossing but generally just hiked. The mosquito population gave me a hand with this and worked hard to keep me moving. The lower part of the trail was quite a bit drier and less muddy than it was on my last visit a few weeks ago. After the lower crossing I stayed with the slow and steady pace. I believe the only stop on the way to the upper crossing was to visit with a couple others on their descent.

After the upper crossing I was in the nice, big switchbacks; five of them – count ‘em. These big sweeping switchbacks gain elevation fast and make it an easy climb. After the fifth switchback the trail generally sweeps toward the summit and climbs to the top. By this time the slope has moderated quite a bit and it’s an easy final stretch. Eventually I was in the tunnel through the conifers that leads to the summit clearing.

Once again, I had the place to myself. I was hoping to see someone else there to help with a summit picture. Instead, I set my camera on a rock, framed the picture the way I wanted, and activated the self timer. Twice I was able to scamper to the cairn and get in the picture without any gymnastic moves. As I got the second shot a couple arrived via Lend-A-Hand Trail. They asked if I wanted an assist with a picture. I checked my shots and they were good. They asked if I would provide an assist. Of course.

After the picture was done they headed down Hale Brook Trail and I got a few more summit shots. Eventually I started my exit hike. At the start of the first (bottom) switchback I overtook the couple, let them know they were on the final switchback and would soon be on a generally direct run to the trailhead. They let me pass and we were on our way.

Back at the trailhead I was able to change my footwear and take care of everything else for the trip home. As I pulled out of the parking space they finally arrived to the trailhead. As far as I know they were the last ones on Hale for the day.

I had some cold drinks and snacks for the road. Soon I was on I-93 headed south with cruise control set at just under 70mph.

It was a very good day for the triple, and a very good triple for the day.

I’ve posted some pictures from the day.

BIGEarl's Pictures

Straight to the slideshow

:cool:

Last edited:
I encountered a lot of low clouds in the morning as well but the day sure turned out nice. I must of just missed you. I went by the Waumbek trailhead around 7:45ish.

Netting five summits on a Triple is an interesting comb. Nice job!
:)

I encountered a lot of low clouds in the morning as well but the day sure turned out nice. I must of just missed you. I went by the Waumbek trailhead around 7:45ish.

Netting five summits on a Triple is an interesting comb. Nice job!
Thanks.

Actually, you missed me by a couple hours.

At 7:45ish I was approaching the Avalon - Willey Range Trail junction. I started the Willey Range hike a little after 6:00.

The day had a crazy start time; but it also had an early finish. I needed an early finish because I had an early start on Sunday.

:rolleyes:

Great TR and a very impressive day of hiking!

I must not have missed meeting you on Hale by much. I hiked Hale Saturday morning (8/17) before rejoining my family for brunch and was back in the car by 11. I did come across a group that had camped at the Hale summit Friday night:

http://www.herdpath.com/TripReports/images/20130817MtHale/20130817MtHale-001e.JPG

My son and I hiked Willey from Ethan Pond on Friday and spoke with a woman above the ladders who had come from the same direction and seemed to be struggling a bit. She said she didn't think she could go back the way she came, but was prepared to camp that night, perhaps off the A-Z west of the ridge. We didn't run into her again, but I wonder if she was the woman you saw camping on Field.

Ed

BIGEarl's Pictures

My son and I hiked Willey from Ethan Pond on Friday and spoke with a woman above the ladders who had come from the same direction and seemed to be struggling a bit. She said she didn't think she could go back the way she came, but was prepared to camp that night, perhaps off the A-Z west of the ridge. We didn't run into her again, but I wonder if she was the woman you saw camping on Field.

Ed
Thanks Ed,

I'm pretty sure the woman you met was the same person I met on Field. We visited for a while and she talked about hiking Willey from the south and having a great deal of trouble with the climb, especially the ladders section. She indicated her exit route would be different. I passed her again on Avalon Trail heading to C-Notch. She was moving slow but otherwise doing fine.

BIGEarl's Pictures

Earl, amazing job sir. Your energy seems endless.

Very nice TR as well. I enjoyed the read.

Hope we get together to hike in September.

Marty
Thanks Marty,

I really appreciate the positive comments.

My energy isn't endless. I'm sure the end of it isn't far off. I'll just do as much as I can for as long as I can, enjoying every day - especially the ones I can spend with friends like you.

Now you have me looking forward to September.

Ed
Thanks Ed,

I'm pretty sure the woman you met was the same person I met on Field. We visited for a while and she talked about hiking Willey from the south and having a great deal of trouble with the climb, especially the ladders section. She indicated her exit route would be different. I passed her again on Avalon Trail heading to C-Notch. She was moving slow but otherwise doing fine.