Lightning Strikes Hiker on Monadnock (7-20-05)

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Waumbek

Reaction score
Avatar: "World's Windiest Place" Stamp (5/27/06)
This was one very lucky hiker who walked away after being struck by lightning on Monadnock. There has been a long thread on lightning safety recently on VFTT so I won't rehearse it all again except to say that the "lightning desperation position" or "lightning safety position" is a critical piece of safety info if you're caught outside in a t-storm and it's too late to seek a better location. Crouch down on the balls of your feet, hug your knees (keep your hands off the ground), make yourself as small as possible; kneel only if you can't maintain the crouch position. If you're in a so-called good location, wait 30 minutes after the last thunder or lightning before you resume hiking.

News - July 20, 2005
Storms bring drier air, weather
By MARK HAYWARD and LORNA COLQUHOUN
Union Leader News

. . . . On Mount Monadnock, lightning traveled through a hiker's legs. . . . About 3:30 p.m. yesterday, two hikers on the Marlborough trail in Jaffrey were indirectly struck by lightning, according to the New Hampshire Fish and Game Department. Matthew Lidman, 28, said the lightning struck a nearby tree, then traveled up one leg and down another.
Lidman, a Merrimack resident who teaches violin for a living, said he saw blue arcs shooting between his legs. Once he collapsed, his legs were numb for 10 minutes until reviving with a tingling sensation. "I've had little shocks before, but this felt like I stepped on a land mine. It blew my legs out from under me," he said. Lidman and his brother were hiking in pouring rain; an intense lightning and thunderstorm had appeared to improve when he was struck. Rescue squads from Jaffrey, Marlborough and Harrisville assisted the brothers down the mountain. They were examined by a Jaffrey emergency medical technician but refused transport to a local hospital. . . ."

Yes, my daughter was in a fierce lightening storm atop Mt. Moody late last Thursday night. The group leader made them assume the position on top of their sleeping pads. Fortunately no one was struck. :eek:

Interesting! Glad there were no fatalities.

We just finished on Monadnock at around 3:30pm on the 20th and saw no sign of a storm from the Poole Road side of the mountain. Must have been very localized, or popped up after we left.

On our way up I noticed several of the small, puffy clouds had rather ominous darkness to them. I would have had us turn around at the first sign of a storm.

Bob

Scary

It's so scary to be up on a mountain during a bad thunderstorm.

Once while "nature trail hiking" in Sudbury, MA on Nobscot Hill (small consv. area Elevation 500 or something). I got to the top and decided to hike to the top of the fire tower. It started raining so I figured I would stay on the fire tower to stay dry. It was not thundering and lighting at the time. All of a sudden I felt this fuzzy feeling and SMACK. A tower about 70 yards from me had a direct strike. It was the loudest most violent thing I've ever been part of. I think I ran down the tower and down that hill faster than ever. I was more falling down hill at a high rate of speed.

When you once feel that fuzzy feeling you'll never forget it!