Lightweight tents with high ceilings

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

oldfogie

Reaction score
I'm trying to find a lightweight 2-person tent with a ceiling higher than the usual 4' max I've found thusfar. I'm tall, and when I'm sitting Indian-style, my head rubs the sides/ceiling of every tent I've tried (except the family mega-pound ones). Campmor has a chart for all its tents, but none is higher than 4', so I may be looking for some exotic brand. Any help would be helpful. Thanks.

I use a Megamid and ,as jbreen suggested, it stands about 5 feet tall at the center. Plenty of headroom (for me anyway).

Sierra Designs Observatory - 7 lb, lots of room for 2, 54" high. Susceptible to side winds because of its profile, according to Backpacker 2005 Gear Guide.

REI Taj 3 - 7.1 lb, 51" H.

MSR Wind 2 (Hoop) - 7 lb, 53"H.

My old Sierra Designs Comet (3-person) is a tad under 8 pounds but tall - the latest Comet is 51"H and 7 lb 9 oz.

Other than that, everything with high clearance is 8 to 9 pounds

Thanks for the replies. I don't like the megamid design or lack of floor (I hate bugs!), and the others mentioned are not what I would call lightweight at all. Guess I'll just stay with my GoLite and duck my head.

oldfogie said:
I don't like the megamid design or lack of floor (I hate bugs!). . .
Well, you can certainly get your Megamid with a floor, or better yet a full bug shelter. What don't you like about the design, anyway? I really like my (related) Betamid.

Missing Link

You may want to take a look at MSR's Missing Link. It's a hybrid between a tarp and a tent. It's fully enclosed, has lots of ventilation, spacious for 2 inside and best of all weighs about 3 pounds.

ADKMan said:
You may want to take a look at MSR's Missing Link. It's a hybrid between a tarp and a tent. It's fully enclosed, has lots of ventilation, spacious for 2 inside and best of all weighs about 3 pounds.

Plus the weight of the requisite pair of trekking poles, which are needed to set it up. (Not knockin' it, 'cuz I've been eyeing one for some time now.) I think that if there will be two inhabitants, you might want to draw straws for the more spacious spot next to the door, to avoid any resentments.
;) In my case, my furry tentmates are dependent on me for feeding them, so I don't worry too much.

sounds like a tough one

gear is a back and forth battle. you want lightweight and lots of headroom. thats a tough order.

i would try to broaden your ideas on a shelter. check out

www.hennessyhammocks.com

there are other hammocks but that is a good place to start.
you may not be able to squeeze a sitting up position but the absolute comfort you feel is remarkable. in my opinion the value of the hammock exceeds any tent. I am coming from the perspective of a long distance hiker tho. i used to use a sierra designs clip flashlight cd. now its nothing but a hammock for me.

basically:
what type of camping are you mostly doing? car camping or backpacking?
are you looking for a solo shelter or something to snuggle up with someone in?
have you ever thought to yourself "i wish the ground was softer?"
what do you want the shelter for? planning on some card games or a place to rest after a long days hike?

for me:
i want a solo shelter that will be of high value in regards to weight, comfort, and $ value. what i chose was the hennessy ultralight backpacker asym. weighs in at 1.9 lbs. it is the most comfortable gear i have ever owned. it absolutely beats any form of ground camping. no pressure points, no aches. cost me 129.95 (they make a model for $69 i believe) oh yeah, throw away any previous notion of what you think a hammock is like. its not a banana sleep, nor a shrimp sleep.