Limmer Boots: Footbeds?

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TEO

Reaction score
My Merrell Wilderness's have lasted me ten years to date, but after two resoles, it is becoming clear that they will need to be replaced, possibly this summer. If they fit, I will probably get the Limmer Standard. My question:

Carl Limmer told me that the leather footbeds will mold to your feet and that they are not built for aftermarket footbeds such as Superfeet. What do Limmer users past and present think? Is Carl right, I won't need an aftermarket footbed? Or, if the Standard fits me, should I get a pair that is large enough to accommodate Superfeet or the like?

TIA!

Believe Carl and Pete

The insoles in the custom Limmers definately mold to your feet over time---and have kept my feet comfortable since 1975!

Though not the Standards, I found a good buy at a tent sale at Ragged Mtn. last year on the Limmer Ultra Lights that fit my husband just right. He is very rough on boots and is very hard to make happy in a pair. I think we hit gold. He says they have become very comfortable. :)

About 15 years ago when I bought my customs, they offered a no cost option to make room for a customer supplied footbed. Essentially the leather footbed was still there, they just made the boot a bit taller. I have heard several folks use footbeds as the leather doesnt have much cushioning. Removable foot beds can be removed and dried out everynight.

The other advantage to removable footbeds is that they allow the boot to be usuable quicker. Waiting for the foot to mold to the stock leather takes several weeks.

With the stock boots, if you can find a boot with enough volume to fit a removable footbed I would go for it.

might not be a concern now or ever, but prescription orthotics usually require removeable insoles, or at least the extra space, like peakbagger describes.

My custom Limmers ("srtandard" weight) have the plain leather footbed, and an unpadded tongue. They are very, very comfortable boots in every respect.

Following the Limmer family’s prescribed break-in routine (wearing the boots daily and doing some walking in them) within a couple of weeks I was able to take 10-12 mile hikes over easy terrain in real comfort, wearing the boots. Each hike got even more comfy as the footbeds molded to my feet and uppers developed their flex points, etc. The unpadded tongues were never a problem.

By the time I had 100 miles or so on the boots they were quite adequately broken in for mountain hiking. I never have felt the need – or even the faintest twinge of desire -- for a cushy insole with my Limmers. My standard sock arrangement is a lightweight poly or wool liner sock with a heavy Ragg wool sock on top.

FWIW

G.

Problem I had with that is that they fitted me with a slightly larger size to accomodate my custom orthotics. As a result the rest of the boot is a little too big and thus rubs. I havent been able to use them without blistering my achilles tendon area. Anyone wear size 9 wide?
I love my new Vasques!!!

I had my custom Limmers fitted with my hard orthotics. Original pair is still going strong almost 25 yrs later. I liked them so much I placed an order for a 2nd pair shortly after getting the first pair. Have only worn the 2nd set since I broke them in by wearing them for a season of soccer coaching when the kids were little.
There they sit, in waiting, for the older pair to wear out. Not likely.

Who is Carl Limmer? Did Peter retire? Is Carl his son?

I wore a pair of Limmer Lightweights for four years while my customs were on order. I used custom orthotics inside them to address one foot issue but the boots never fit my feet well enough, causing major other foot issues. My customs(with padded tongue) were built to accomodate my orthotics and it's a match made in Heaven. I used to wear two pairs of socks(a thin liner and a heavier one) but once I found out about them, I wear a single pair of Wright double layer Hiking Extra socks and have gone from "the agony of de-feet" to happy puppies.

For my entire hiking career, from Galibier Super Guides in the early 1970's through all the nkob's I suffered from foot pain and blisters until the custom Limmers. Setting aside the Frankenstein Monster look of them and the concrete overshoes weight, they are the best single piece of hiking/backpacking gear I use - nothing else is even close. I gladly suffer the giggles over their appearance and the extra weight they make me carry.

I have had customs for ten years. They have about 3 thousand miles on them and have been resoled once. They are the most comfortable boots I have ever worn- and I tried many over the years. Lately, I have been experiencing some soreness on the bottoms of my feet after a long day. I have inserted generic insoles into the boots and it has not affected the fit at all. I wonder if the original footbed has become so compressed that the additional padding works fine for me? It seems like there are a lot of options to get them to fit the way you want.

Every time I stop at Limmers, (probably a couple times a year), Peter is there, usually along with Ken. Carl pops in every once in awhile, but I don't think he has much to do with the business anymore.

I can recall Ken telling me that there is almost nothing they cannot fix or adjust if you have a problem with you boots.
I have midweight standards, wear orthotics, and have no problems.
They did have to stretch one because of my "doorknob" bunion, as Ken calls it, and a hammer toe.
I remember Ken recommending the expedition weight Smart Wool and they do work well in my boots.
I really love my Limmers and consider them to be the very best boots I have ever owned.