Lion's Head Trail

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Rols

Reaction score
date: 4/18/09

Conditions: The trail to Tucks was firm/lose packed snow except for a few bare spots. On the trail up Lion's Head was deep, firm snow. There was one spot on the steep section of Lion's Head where you had the choice of a bare rock corner or a verticle ice bulge. There was a short, steep section above this that was icy. After the steep section there was lots of snow.

Equipment: I carried snow shoes but they stayed on my pack. I used microspikes up and out of Tucks to provide a little extra traction (most were bare booting). Ice ax anc crampons were absolutely necessary on Lion's Head. Spring weather was in the air. I carried Winter clothing but hiked in a shirt and light gloves most of the day although there was some steady light snow on the upper elevations of Lion's Head.

Comments: Do to some unforeseen events at home I had been up for 26hrs (except for about an hour in the car) when I started up Tucks. Although I initially questioned my sanity, it turned out to be a great day in the mountains. It was the day of the Inferno but I beat most of the crowds up Tucks. Travel up Tucks was quick due to a packed snow covered trail. The climb up Lion's Head was challenging. Two parties turned back at the steep section. I would not have continued without an ax. Once out of the steep section there was almost no visibility into the bowl (I had hoped to view skiers from Lion Head). I decided to turn back and hike into the bow. Back on Tucks crowds lined the trail. There was a party atmosphere at the shelters. There was a line into lunch rocks. It was a great day made even better by running into Tsianne and meeting her companions.