looking for someone to hike white mts in mid april

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

banjolady

Reaction score
I hear that April is the worst time of year in the white mts but my musician friends are having a gathering near Conway NH. we'll be there from April 11-15 and I am eager to do whatever dayhiking and peaks i can do. I'd also like to investigate some dog friendly campgrounds for our upcoming white mt trip on aug 23-30. i would love some company (my dogs will not be with me this time). i hike at a slow but steady pace. i will not be trying to do anything terribly ambitious unless the conditions are unusually good--I am expecting lots of slush and mud and frozen stuff and changeable terrain. no king ravine for me this time :) i'll bring stabilicers and crampons and snowshoes and xc skis. is it likely that there will be good snow up there in mid april? at home in southern NY I hike almost daily regardless of weather.
suggestions for dayhikes w beautiful views that a slowpoke can complete in 7hrs or less are welcome!

I can do a day hike or xc on the 11th. If you have something planned for that day let me know or we can plan something closer to the day based on the conditions. I live in WV and the xc has been really good over here. PM me.

April can certainly have the most variable conditions, finicky weather, and many fewer people to pack trails due to gardening, whitewater boating, or because it just doesn't count as winter

Rather than asking for predictions a month in advance, read the Trail Conditions before you come, and add to this note so it will pop up - I'll bet you'll find plenty of takers when the time comes

Being New England being prepared for anything will assure some sort of outdoor enjoyment will be at your disposal.

Banjos, musicians ... tell us more about the music. If we hike with you can we listen to the music, too?

It would be great to join you on some hikes when you are this way. You say your dogs won't be with you this time, but another time I'd also enjoy hiking with them, too. I can't have a dog (dogs) where I live right now and miss their companionship.

If you're looking for views and convenience you ought get a White Mountain Guide and look up hikes to North Kearsarge with TH right in N Conway or check out descriptions for any routes on the Moats. Kearsarge has grand views and RT of 7 miles or so and 2600' elev gain. For longer hike you might try a traverse of North, Middle, South Moat with distance just about 10 miles. You can choose route that passes by the magnificent Cathedral Ledge and take some time out to watch the rock climbers. They aren't 4000 footers, but both these destinations are right in the valley of Conway and offer some of finest views to be had. Lower elevations won't have so much ice. They're bound to be well traveled enough so if you hike solo won't be such big deal. Enjoy your visit! :)

Stan said:
Being New England being prepared for anything will assure some sort of outdoor enjoyment will be at your disposal.

Banjos, musicians ... tell us more about the music. If we hike with you can we listen to the music, too?

you betcha! apr 11-15 we'll be at sunnybrook cottages in conway, we sing country duets ala delmores, carter family, louvins etc and also play oldtime southern appalachian fiddle tunes. you can email me for more details, i don't want to get too far off topic. i would love to hike with any of you if you can put up with my slow pace. i have a white mt guide and would prefer not to hike solo but i will do that if i can't find company. i am not obsessed with 4000fters --here at home i am lucky if i get a 1300 footer so they'll be awesome to me. 7 mi in mud or snow sounds like a full day for me at my speed-
I'll be up again with my friends with our dogs in Aug 23-30 and we're trying to find good car camping near twin mt--thinking of sugarloaf or the free primitive camping for us dogowners.
can't wait to check out the area. I am a strong daily hiker but just VERY cautious and not fast. thank you all so much!!
susan

Camping

Hey Susan..Cherry Mtn Road has FREE camping and it's a
great place for the dogs. It's right off RT 302. There's
a BIG campsite I think it may be #4 or #5.

Hey Susan,
My friend Gerry is supposed to be up that way on a trip to Mt. Washington with some friends. Looks like I might be coming up to hook up for some hiking with him and his friends. I'll keep you informed as plans progress.

Kevin

mtnmama said:
Hey Susan..Cherry Mtn Road has FREE camping and it's a
great place for the dogs. It's right off RT 302. There's
a BIG campsite I think it may be #4 or #5.

that sounds great, i hear tho it is first come first served-we'd be coming during the week around wed or thurs. also how safe is it when we're hiking and people leave tents and stuff around? is there water avail?
tell me more! thanks
Kevin i hope to see u up there!!