Lost Hiker 11/30/06

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Mistakes?

Were you always a smart hiker?

I used to hike without a flashlight and get back to my car just in time for sunset. I did it so many times I can't count them (and I had a damn good time doing it...I mean, look at my avatar). Since then, I have covered thousands of miles hiking in the Whites and every time I carry two headlamps in my pack with fresh batteries. So, am I as guilty as this guy? Am I a hypocrite to think poorly of the guy's judgement? Hell, folks who want to blast people for common hiking mistakes should take the whole park system into consideration. Read the NPS morning report sometime and you could go on for days discussing bad judgement:

http://home.nps.gov/applications/morningreport/

I find it interesting that people see soloing as a viable method of exploring the backcountry, yet when someone out with a group leaves the group, they seem to have a problem with that. I have left a group before, when I thought they where making incorrect decisions and not being able to reach a consensious, I simply went down on my own, the last thing they said to me was " you shouldnt be splitting up the group" I replied, ok come with me then and I wont.
P.S. the above example occurred at the base of Pinnacle Gully in Hunnington's, temps where -25 with winds in the alpine garden reaching 50+mph, do the math there, any accident while climbing imo would have had fatal results, the ice was so brittle due to the cold, I just couldnt justify continueing.
To me when in the backcountry, you must have the ability to constantly monitor conditions and weather and respond accordingly. Not being able to get out climbing again for a month is not enough of a reason to lack good judgement. If I die in the mountains, I assure you the reason wont be that the dude I was with had more guts then brains.

Last edited:
This man is NOT a hiker

If I read this right, this guy starts into the woods at 16:00 (4PM). It is already on the other side of getting dark. It is dark in the woods at 4PM.
This guy is a person that took a walk in the woods. In my mind there is a big difference between a hiker (a well prepared, educated, in shape person) and a guy who takes a walk in the woods.

The only thing I get out of this news article is....."People are stupid"! :eek: :eek:
Just my humble opinion.
Later Dudes and Dudettes.....Walker

Last edited:
"Judge not, lest thou be judged."

"Let he who is without sin cast the first stone."

We are all human, and we have all made mistakes. Every single one of us.

We can learn valuable lessons by our own mistakes, and the mistakes of others. Without judging, we may learn something by thoughtful discussion. But we gain nothing by monday-morning-quarterbacking.

Last edited:
The news accounts provide little information, and certainly not enough upon which to judge the lost hiker’s intelligence, care or competence. Lots of unanswered questions.

Starting out in late afternoon without a flashlight is a mistake. Was the mistake to rely on one’s companions?

Separating from one’s companions was a mistake. But was the mistake really a matter of his companions failing to stay in contact? Who actually separated from whom?

Leaving the trail was a mistake. But how and why was that mistake made? Did the lost hiker perhaps leave the trail to answer Nature’s call while his companions continued on their merry way?

What we do know is that fairly early the next morning the lost hiker walked out of the woods on his own and right into the waiting arms of SAR people, presumably staged at the parking lot where his hike started. (We don’t know the latter for sure – no specifics in the news reports. But it does seem likely.) That indicates the lost hiker (a) managed to keep his wits about him during a long night; (b) was able to stay healthy overnight; and (c) must have some route-finding skills.

Frankly, I’d like to know a lot more about his story, from one end to the other. His level of experience? Ditto, his companions? How he got separated? Why no flashlight? What other gear did he have? Why did he leave the trail? What were his thoughts and actions upon realizing he was lost? What he did to get through the night? What he did to find his way back to the trailhead?

We all might stand to learn something from answers to those questions. At least we'd really have something to discuss.

G.