Lousy beer, polygamists...ahh, Utah! Part 1

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

audrey

Reaction score
Pat and I were in Southern Utah last week with our friends Marge and Mitch. All I can say is, Go! But if you like beer, bring your own.

Pics are here:
http://community.webshots.com/album/550058088hYRadJ

The week started horribly when the cab didn't show up and we made a sprint to Logan Express only to find there was no bus for a half-hour. To make a nasty story short, we got to the gate just as they were starting to disengage the jetway.

We landed in Salt Lake City (cheaper ticket than to Las Vegas), got our rental car (Nissan Murano - I am not buying one of those!), and drove 4.5 hours to Hurricane, where we picked up the key for our rental house. The owners kindly led us 22 miles out on Highway 59 to Hildale on the Arizona border. Yes, Hildale. If you've read Krakauer's book, "Under the Banner of Heaven," you'll know how special it is. A few more miles on a dirt road, and we were there. 1200 acres of beautiful sagebrush desert and white boulders and 16+ cows all to ourselves. Marge instantly labeled the house, "The Poky" because it looks just like the jails in cowboy movies. Inside it was perfect, especially the heat and the airconditioning which were needed at various times.

Our first excursion was to Colorado City, sister city of Hildale, to the supermarket. It was like stepping onto the set of "Children of the Corn." The women and girls were uniformly dressed in long homemade cotton dresses, and they all had identical hairdos. A few were willing to talk to us but most just ignored us. Almost every third or fourth house in town was either unfinished or abandoned. It appears that the perfect society is not going to make it, what with genetic defects surfacing and limited income opportunities and infighting among the church leaders.

Sunday, April 23: fierce clouds were enveloping the still-snowy Pine Valley mountains which rise to over 10,000 feet. We traipsed into Taylor Creek, in the Kolob Canyons section of Zion, ending at Double Arch Alcove, which is an absolutely jaw-dropping shallow cave dripping with color. To extend the trip, we found the herd path that goes up the North Fork, went about 3/4 mile to a conflunce, and bushwhacked up to a ridge on the left. The canyon could be very well seen from there. Of course we had some trouble finding a less than vertical way down.

Monday: we were on the Zion Shuttle by 8 and on the Observation Point Trail by 9. We had taken a shortcut from Hurricane/Hildale on the 9-mile Smithsonian Butte Byway, which is rutted and rocky and you have to dodge cows, but it gives wonderful views of Zion and Horse Valley Wash as well as the fantastic mountains that lie south of Zion.

The trail zigzagged up to Echo Canyon, led us through some narrow spaces and eventually wound its way through colorful cliffs to a lookout on the east side that gave a direct view downcanyon. We looked down on people clambering up to Angel's Landing and had a bird's-eye-view of Cable Mt. and the Great White Throne. We could see snow-covered Cedar Breaks to the north. I had some anxious moments on the way down, as the trail clings to vertical cliffs with huge dropoffs. I hadn't liked the idea of PAVED trails, but now they were comforting. The builders had left all manner of imprints: shoes, bare feet, horses, deer, initials, names, dates.To be continued...

Audrey, that's so different from the NE! Lots of different terrain and changing scenery, to boot! Great flora pix - I thought the Larkspur and hanging Paintbrush garden were especially fine.

Now... isn't there another word for "bushwhacking" when you are walking around small stray rock over an open rock surface?? I'm just not counting that as a bushwhack hike (unless you fell and scrapped your arm or something) :p

I take it you lucked out and they re-attached the jet-way and you made the plane you were booked on... that wasn't clear short version :confused: I love it when they have to do that!!

Lastly, glad you went and had a fine time. I got to look and don't have to go now. Give me the Northeast :) . I just can't embrace the SW.

Nice !! Looking forward to the rest of the TR. I love the hoodoos. Glad you guys had fun inspite of the Children of the Corn and the bad beer. The vast beauty of the canyons is sure worth the trip out there.

sli74

Audrey...nice report can't wait for part 2.
The pictures a beautiful. Just gotta love that flora.

Great photos and report guys. It was cool to see photos of places that I haven't been inside places that I have been. Did that make any sense? When VSA and I went to Zion for a day in March, we were driving around wondering what the bushwhacking opportunities would be in that park. My guess is that you wouldn't be able to get too far without hitting a canyon or steep slickrock. I guess I was wrong. Time to start looking at that map again, I guess. :)

Not fair! I want to go to Utah!!!

Nice pix.

"with genetic defects surfacing "..... ha!!!! :eek: :D Now that is funny. I don't care who you are, that is funny.

rep given

- darren

Great botony pics...
Years back I stayed in Bluff Utah... great beer selection at the package store on Navajo territory. The other areas were as dry as the desert.