Lower Hudson paddling - dredging

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

adkayaker

Reaction score
Several kayak outfitters and paddling clubs depend on the lower Hudson for tours, lessons, test paddles . .plus numerous kayakers ply these waters, especially from Poughkeepsie to the Tappan Zee. A formal website exists to monitor the PCB levels from the upper Hudson dredging project but not sure if this is all one needs to use for paddling decisions. While I might not paddle just miles below the project, do you think the lower Hudson is far enough away to safely paddle? By paddle, I mean being exposed to the water - rolling, capsizes, boat entry and exit, waves splashing?

Unfortunately, a lot of the nice coves and bays that is nice for rolling practice, is also a good place for contaminents to collect, I would not be trying to expose myself to the water for too long on some of the days when they are dredging, perhaps try other locations, but wouldn't be too concerned with basic paddling, maybe just avoid the areas they may be dredging, Indian Point Nuclear Power Plant, etc. etc...

the Hudson is fairly big as you get closer to NYC, Haverstraw bay is supposedly the river's widest point too.

Jay

from what I understand of the dredging project, they are monitoring for PCBs at or below drinking water standards. I'd be more concerned with coliforms and bacteria from sewage treatment plants that discharge into the river, particularly with all of the rain we've had. A lot of the plants have combined sewers, meaning they get household sewage as well as runoff from the streets. Sometimes during rain events the treatment plant can't handle the flow and it all goes straight out to the river without treatment. Keep an eye on the papers for beach closings as an indicator of this.