A few years in the making, the hudson river proper bridge to Lock, done!

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jay H

Reaction score
Many years ago when Warren (an old-timer in VFTT terms who no long lives on the east coast) and I started kayak camping on the hudson, I figured I'd try to section paddle the hudson between the Tappen Zee bridge in White Plains and the Troy lock/dam. This was probably in the mid 2000s as I got into paddling in 2004 when I bought my Impex Mystic from Paddlefest in NJ. I was still living in northern NJ and the Hudson was a close river to camp and explore... Warren and I did a lot of kayak camping on the nice summer weekends... Warren, Miss Margaret, and sometimes others like Ted Duggan, Coldfeet, IndianChris, FunkyFreddy, we would check out the lower hudson valley and slowly work my way north and south til I completely the Tappen Zee to around Albany.. Today, I finished off the ~8 miles north of Albany to the lock and dam in Troy, NY which was my original goal. For sure, I intend to check out Peebles island and some nice points north of the dam, but my original goal to kayak the hudson is now complete. Launched from the Albany Municipal Launch Ramp which is off exit 4A off I-787 around 8:15 and headed north. Fairly humid and it's certainly not a woody paddle, paralleling I-787 for a long time... But it also parallels the Mohaw-Hudson bike path so I would see cyclists and joggers until I got to Troy where I could recognize RPI, the Rt 9 lift bridge and Green Island...

Anyway, got to the end and put out to have lunch and took pictures on the way back.. here they are:

https://picasaweb.google.com/104827043392670889977/20120526AMLRToTroyLockDam

Now, onto the CT River :)

Jay

Congrats Jay! Wish I was there on your finish, but hopefully I can join you on another state list! Did you get a patch? Should be an ice cream/paddle patch!

Congrats Jay! Wish I was there on your finish, but hopefully I can join you on another state list! Did you get a patch? Should be an ice cream/paddle patch!

Didn't get a patch but I picked up a few floating water bottles, a 1 gal poland spring bottle and a beach ball which is now a cat toy!

Thanks Paradox and Coldfeet, just because it isn't wilderness, doesn't mean it isn't interesting! A lot of history on the hudson!

Jay