Paddling the Erie Canal end-to-end

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ALGonquin Bob

Reaction score
THE PLAN - Pending my finding a job, I'm trying to make the most of my time. In June, I paddled across Lake Ontario to Toronto, so I'm looking for my next challenge. Two years ago, I began thinking about paddling my sea kayak the length of the Erie Canal, as the song goes, "from Albany to Buffalo". Every trip report I've read describes that trip in the opposite direction - from Buffalo to the Hudson, and sometimes beyond. The Erie Canal portion of the NYS State Canal System actually ends in Tonawanda/North Tonawanda. The route then goes upstream in the Niagara River for about seven miles until it reaches the Black Rock Canal and its single lock. That short 4 mile canal allows ships to bypass the swiftly flowing water at the head of the Niagara, finally taking travelers to Buffalo Harbor, the Buffalo River, and the original terminus of the old Erie Canal at the recently excavated and refurbished Commercial Slip and Buffalo's Central Wharf, at an area referred to as Canalside. I’ve paddled the Buffalo to Tonawanda portion of the route many times, so I want to begin my odyssey at Albany, or to be more specific, Waterford, where the canal system meets the Hudson River.

LOGISTICS - When I began my research in 2010, I found a great website by the late Bill Quick, called “Kayak Guy”. With Bill’s untimely death in January 2011, his website was taken down and all of his trip reports, maps, photos and other info are no longer available. Bill had paddled the canal system and had many TRs, some of which I read. With the Kayak Guy and all of his info gone, I’m back to “Square One”. By necessity, I would be doing this trip solo and mostly self-supported. In May, I drove to Waterford and scouted the eastern terminus of the canal; I would paddle the 300-some miles from there to a local park on the Niagara River in Tonawanda, where I could then just walk the remaining 5 blocks to my house.

MY QUESTION – I’m looking for info relating to services on the route (food availability, public restrooms, campsites, and accommodations) for a self-supported paddler who would have to walk everywhere. I’ll camp most nights, but the occasional nearby motel or B&B would be welcome. There are many places where the canal does not offer friendly (easy) access to or from the water. I was told about a few campsites that are along the “water trail” (see link), but there are many gaps between those official campsites. Can I camp on other public land along the canal? If so, is it safe? If anyone has done this trip, or even multi-day self-supported sections, I’d like to hear your story. If I do this trip in 2012, it would be Sept. or October. Thanks. – Bob
http://www.canals.ny.gov/trails/camping.html

PS: I am aware that if traveling eastward, most of the locks would be draining (instead of filling), thereby reducing turbulence in the locks, and eastward often has the advantage of the wind, as well. I just want to "paddle home".

Last edited:
Only 11 views - what a dull topic! Maybe I should paddle the Mississippi instead...
Concur, but I wasn't going to say anything. At least three of those views were mine. I looked into the Erie Canal a few years ago and was thinking of the Mohawk River portion near say Fultonville. However, I came to the realization that far too much of it was high embankments like one sees between Lockport and Rochester.

I also read a trip report on a blog by a guy that used a rowing shell that could cruise at 6-8 mph. He was moving much faster than I can in a kayak, and still found too much of it very boring. He also was harassed by drunks while camping, and had several other misadventures. I decided to pass.

On the other hand, I want to do Stillwater Reservoir this weekend, maybe get to NeHaSaNe lake. Any interest? Hopefully Ishmael will join me. I plan to be at the Stillwater Inn on Friday morning (8/24/12) about 10:00am.

Last edited:
I realize the canal is boring, but I've been into long paddle trips lately; I would just concentrate on the mileage, but the Mohawk River portion might be interesting, and Oneida Lake has the potential to be challenging. Thanks for the Stillwater invite, but I can't make it. Still training for the 90-Miler with my voyageur team. Isn't Nehasane Lake off-limits to the public?

I realize the canal is boring, but I've been into long paddle trips lately; I would just concentrate on the mileage, but the Mohawk River portion might be interesting, and Oneida Lake has the potential to be challenging. Thanks for the Stillwater invite, but I can't make it. Still training for the 90-Miler with my voyageur team. Isn't Nehasane Lake off-limits to the public?

Good luck on the 90 miler!

We have decided to do Long Lake - Raquette River this weekend. So I guess I can await the outcome of the judges decision on Shingle Shanty Brook issue (http://www.vftt.org/forums/showthread.php?46083-Shingle-Shanty-lawsuit-update). Which will put Nehasane Lake in the same legal status.

The only suggestion I have is to lay out your progress, then google your approximate stops or check other more conventional sources (eg AAA) for locations of accomodations and restuarants at or near the canal. Nearby marinas and boating supply stores might have a book of such resources. I wouldn't be surprised if, even with the best laid detailed plan, you improvise a lot along the way.

Hey Bob -- not sure if you have checked out this resource, but you might be able to dovetail into some of the maps and related info. This is from Parks & Trails NY -- Canalway Trail. It regards Cycling the Erie Canal. Lots about End-2-End and other maps, places to stay, etc. Hope it helps some.

Visit http://www.ptny.org/bikecanal/