lower wolfe jaw in winter

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Adk_dib

Reaction score
Want to do this one this winter. Is this loop from wedge brook trail to white trail and back to Ausable club usually well traveled during winter. Also, is the junction to upper wolfe jaws a good place to change into your crampons.

Lower Wolf Jaw Spanking

Adk_dib,

Last February, three of us left the AMR gatehouse shortly after 7 AM with 6" of fresh powder that increased in depth with elevation. We had to break trail the entire distance.

BTW....It is difficult to predict with any certainty whether or not specific routes will be broken out unless they are posted on this or other websites -- and then a "broken" route may not always be what it is claimed to be. I would guess that of all the routes to the Wolf Jaws, the ones that originate from the AMR may support less winter hiker traffic than those trails that start from the Garden or the JBL vicinity.

Having said that, Wedge Brook is a challenging and spectacular winter approach to the Wolf Jaws. As you approach the massive vertical cliffs of LWJ, you pass through a beautiful glade area that is worth the trip alone. We actually lost the route for a time in this section. Thereafter the route becomes a serious vertical endeavor, but the rugged scenery is awesome.

Just before our arrival at the Wedge Brook Trail junction shortly after 9 AM we met up with three others who were on their way to LWJ as well. Since the trail continued unbroken we (all) welcomed each other's company.

Around 11:50, our threesome decided that Upper Wolf Jaw/Armstrong (originally in the works) was no longer a viable option considering the exhausting work of trail breaking so we opted to continue on just to LWJ. We took the LWJ bypass trail rather than heading to the WJ col and reached the summit of LWJ about 1:15 PM in extremely windy conditions (like jet engines) and deep, unbroken powder.

We left the summit at 1:45 PM and signed out at the AMR gatehouse at 5:15 PM. It was far better to retrace our steps than attempt the White Trail.

Good luck with your plans!

Adk_dib said:
forgot to ask, what is the best direction to do this loop?

I hiked Upper Wolf Jaw from the AMR side back in 2004 and I found it much harder then approaching from the Garden. We had full packs and setup camp below the turnoff before the real steep section.

A few weeks later we went back to get Lower Wolf Jaw and we came from the Garden, again with full packs, dropped at the Wolf Jaw leanto. We found this way much, much easier.

-Shayne

LWJ today.

Hi adk dib, :)

Maybe You have a part armwer in my last trip report. ;)
LWJ is one of the more easy peak in Adk in winter, ;)

Have a great hike.

Pinpin Junior. :D

LWJ Blowdown

If you climb LWJ clockwise from Wedge Brook you will find severe blowdown descending on the WA White trail below the summit of LWJ before the intersection with the Hedgehog trail (unless it's been cleared--not likely). If someone has not set the path through, you'll need some time to find your way.

Joe

I'll second what has been said above. It is probably easier in the winter from the Garden. A few years ago we did a ski approach up the Southside trail from the garden. We stashed our skis at the base of the trail to the Wolfjaws col and snowshoed from there to the summit. The trip back was just kicking and gliding along John's Brook. Only a few spots where we had to carry our skis. Of course the brook has to be frozen over but it is another way to do this peak and a lot of fun.