LT South, Rt 108 to Brandon Gap

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Blue

Reaction score
Hello,

We are hiking southbound on the LT starting this Saturday. We begin our adventure hiking up Mansfield and finish at Brandon Gap. I would really appreciate it if anyone has any comments, especially around shelters/camps.

Day 1: Rt 108 to Taylor Lodge 8.7 miles
Day 2: Taylor to Duck Brook 13.2 miles
Day 3: Duck to Montclair Glen 13 miles
Day 4: Montclair to Birch Glen 8 miles
Day 5: Birch to Battell 12.4 miles
Day 6: Battell to Emily Proctor 12.1 miles
Day 7: Emily to Sucker Brook 11.4 miles
Day 8: Sucker to Brandon Gap 5.4 miles

Please let me know if there is a really good shelter I'm missing, or if doing x miles on day y is crazy or anything else you care to share.

Thank you!
-Liza (and Mtn Top and his daughter Treeline)

Blue said:
Day 1: Rt 108 to Taylor Lodge 8.7 miles
Day 2: Taylor to Duck Brook 13.2 miles
Day 3: Duck to Montclair Glen 13 miles
Day 4: Montclair to Birch Glen 8 miles
Day 5: Birch to Battell 12.4 miles
Day 6: Battell to Emily Proctor 12.1 miles
Day 7: Emily to Sucker Brook 11.4 miles
Day 8: Sucker to Brandon Gap 5.4 miles

Without my LT book handy, I can't be quite sure, but I know that Skyline Lodge is a really nice place to stay. I believe it is about 14 miles south of Battell (but not sure), its on a pond, and you can hike about 1/4 of a mile to see the sunset or sunrise. I forget. I'll try to get more details tonight, but its a great spot that I am sure some other people can recommend as well.

Montclair was a bit of a dump when I was there in 2000. It was clean enough, but the lodge was old and very dark as I remember. Of course, I did a 20 mile day to get there, so I might have been a little tired at the time. When you leave Montclair, you will be going over Mt Ethan Allen, one of the worst mountains that I have ever hiked. It was long, it had endless false summits, and no view at all to speak of. It might be different going south, but it was pretty miserable going north.

Reading through my journals, I thought that Cowels Cove Shelter was nice for some reason. I seem to remember open hardwoods and a partial view, but I can't be sure on that one.

Finally, its not on your schedule, but Buchanan Shelter is very nice, but it also is a VERY long way off the trail. The guidebook claims that its .3 off the trail, but it seemed more like a half a mile... downhill... Not good times. But, its got a sliding door and it would be a kick-butt place to stay in a big storm.

It looks fine, Liza. You may find Day 3 a bit tiring and hard on the feet with the road walk and lots of ledge leading up to Camel’s Hump but your kind of stuck with it without making major changes. The next day will be quite easy by comparison, however. I agree with Chomp re Ethan Allen (I never did notice Ira Allen) but I don’t think it will bother you going southbound – you’ll be on the summit early and then find just a bunch of small bumps on your way to Burnt Rock Mtn, a nice lunch spot with views. I can’t think of any special shelters in that area but, generally speaking, all are dry and comfortable with good water nearby.

There is some very nice hiking in that stretch. Have fun. I’ll be finishing four days northbound at Lincoln Gap on Wednesday so I’ll miss you by a day. :(

I agree with Chomp - Skyline Lodge is beautiful. We (wife & daughtor) had it to ourselves one Memorial day. Watched the beaver working away on his house. and it's mostly downhill from Emily Proctor so shouldn't add much to your day.