M&M’s, Double Hit & Run View Hike, 7/31/2010

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BIGEarl

Reaction score
July 31, 2010: M&M’s, Double Hit & Run View Hike

Trails: Two Hikes…

Monroe: Ammonoosuc Ravine Trail, Crawford Path, Monroe Loop

Moosilauke: Beaver Brook Trail

Summits: Monroe and Moosilauke (M&M’s)

Hikers: Trail Trotter (Sue) and me

Sue really likes M&M’s.

Sue and I started the day with a Double Hit & Run plan to enjoy a couple terrific view hikes and we managed to get exactly what we were after. List chasing tends to guide hike selection. Monroe and Moosilauke were both on our list of July targets and we decided to get both on the same day. As planned, we met at the Exit 6 Park & Ride at 2:00-ish (a few minutes late) and took off for our first target and the first half of the M&M’s - Mount Monroe. As usual, we made a couple stops on the drive north and pulled into the trailhead lot on Base Road a little later than planned. Soon, we were hiking. Oops – false start; I forgot to lock the truck - back to the trailhead, push the button, now we’re hiking.

The Ammonoosuc Ravine Trail is a fun way to the ridge. There is a warm-up leading to Gem Pool that covers 2.1 miles and approximately 950 feet in elevation. The trail is clear and generally dry. There are a few minor mud pits but they’re easy to get past. Along the way to Gem Pool we passed a couple hikers on an early start and headed to Mount Washington. They were Laurie and Russ Maynard. Sue and I first met both at the FTFC Awards Dinner earlier this year. Washington appeared to be in and out of the fog/clouds all morning – I hope you two had nice views to enjoy.

We arrived at Gem Pool, stopped briefly for a couple pictures, and started the climb. From Gem Pool to the LOC hut is only 1 mile but includes 1550 feet in elevation. In other words, it’s a pretty steep climb. The trail is dry and the footing is generally great all the way to the hut. We dug in and made our way to the ridge. Along the way we enjoyed some terrific views at various viewpoints on the way. A short distance below the hut we broke above the treeline. What a terrific day we had! There was a moderate breeze and the temperature was low enough to make an additional layer a good idea. Soon we were on the climb to Monroe.

From the hut we could see there were others making their way to the summit of Monroe. It looked like we would have company. We started up the Monroe Loop and made several stops on this final climb for pictures of the area and to just enjoy the views. Every time we looked at Washington the scenery changed; in the clear; partially obscured with fog/clouds, totally obscured with the top couple hundred feet missing. We enjoyed a wonderful changing landscape with nothing but great 360 degree views.

We reached the summit of Monroe and found the place vacant. Evidently, the people we saw on their climb to the summit continued south toward Eisenhower. We got our summit pictures and then hung around for a while to enjoy the views and great conditions. Our plan for the day had some extra time built-in for summit lounging and we were going to use it. Eventually, it was time to go. As we were leaving, another couple of hikers arrived to take over. This is really great, we’re hiking the Presidentials under ideal conditions, and there are very few other hikers on the trail. Hold on – everybody’s alarm clock was set a little later than ours.

We left the summit of Monroe, made our way to the LOC Hut where we briefly stopped for the facilities and a quick snack, and headed back down the Ammonoosuc Ravine Trail. A short distance below the hut I could see multiple groups of hikers making their way up through the scrub. We continued into our descent and soon found ourselves standing on the side of the trail while group after group climbed through. At this rate we would spend the rest of the day just getting back to the trailhead. Sue decided to keep moving as much as conditions would allow and we were able to make slow progress. Soon we met a large group of Friends on their hike of the Southern Presidentials. The Group included Bob&Geri, Dave Metsky, Mark Tuckerman, Tim & Val Charboneau, Mike Morse, and Gina Legge. I have a feeling the further south they hiked, the further they got away from the crowds – probably most folks on the Ammonoosuc Ravine Trail were headed to Washington (just a guess). We all stopped for a brief visit but soon realized we were creating a great traffic jam and were off.

I lost track, in fact I never actually tried to get a count. There had to be between 100 and 200 others we met along the way on our descent and return to the trailhead. Fortunately, Sue kept her aggressive mode in place and we made pretty good time. In fact we probably spent roughly an hour extra in the descent due to the crowded conditions.

We reached the trailhead to find the lot completely jammed – no surprise. We quickly packed and took off for Kinsman Notch and another favorite of ours – Beaver Brook Trail and the second half of the M&M’s – Mount Moosilauke. We had roughly an hour drive between trailheads which was perfect for a lunch-on-the-run. Beaver Brook trailhead wasn’t completely packed with vehicles but it was clear we would have some company on this half of our day.

After water re-supply we were off. Beaver Brook starts off with a mild approach to the area of the cascades and then the trail goes straight up as it climbs along the side of the cascades to the ridge. It’s roughly 1.5 miles and 2200 feel in elevation for this initial climb; hard work for sure. In addition to the nature of the trail, we were able to cool off between hikes; we were working hard to get back to full operating condition. A second warm-up is always interesting. Sue was immediately back in the game but it took me until roughly a third of the way through the climb to have everything functioning properly. Eventually, we were both back to our normal operating condition and headed for the ridge above the Beaver Brook Shelter. We hit the ridge and kept on moving.

At this point the majority of the elevation is done and we have a relatively mild hike to the summit. The hike around Mt. Blue and on to the junction with Benton Trail was clear, generally dry, and generally quiet. We met a few others but not an unusual amount of traffic. In the late afternoon the conditions had cooled off a little and we have a moderate breeze which means we needed to add a layer or plan to keep moving to stay warm. We kept moving. Soon we hit the junction with the Benton Trail, made the left turn, and were on final approach to the summit of Moosilauke.

First, the final climb to the treeline, and then we have a terrific final hike to the summit with more 360 degree views. There were high, broken clouds but the views underneath were really nice. Two view hikes in one day – nice!

At the summit we found a small group of Dartmouth types just setting off on their descent of Gorge Brook. We made our move for the summit post, got a couple pictures, and made way for another group that arrived via the Carriage Road. At the summit we noticed several places where the rocks were used to build what appear to be crude storm shelters. Does anybody know the details on these small structures?

Moosilauke was showing an unusual side to itself. The Breeze was very light and the views were wide open. Most of our previous visits found a very unfriendly place. We still had “lounging time” to use and decided to enjoy the afternoon sun, mild conditions, and great views. Sue found a rock that looked comfortable and we stretched out for a snack and to relax for a while.

Eventually, we decided it was time to head out and attempt to beat darkness. Descending Beaver Brook with headlights was always interesting. We were now working with legs that had been through over 6000 feet of elevation for the day and needed some pampering. A low-intensity approach was the one we selected. We had plenty of daylight to make it well past the junction with Asquam Ridge Trail, down past the Beaver Brook Shelter, and probably half way to the base of the cascades. Out came the headlights and we carefully made our way to the bottom. Once we cleared the cascades the hike to the trailhead was short, fast, and uneventful.

We wasted no time to get packed, changed into comfortable, dry things, and on the road south. Sue pulled out some cold drinks and a package of Coconut M&M’s. Sue really likes M&M’s.

Thanks Sue for an excellent day. What a great start to your vacation. I’m looking forward to a few days of terrific hiking at the Baxter Bash 2010 in a few days. Rest up; we have some big hike plans – and dancing on Knife Edge (or was that handstands on Knife Edge?)!

Pictures will follow.

:D

A great report on the M & M's. I can't imagine what it is like passing, dodging
100-200 hikers on a trail. Talk about gridlock. Have you ever been to Baxter State Park? We've found it to be one of Maine's finest hiking areas.

You mentioned that Sue was eating Coconut M&M's after you completed Moosilauke. Check the ingredients, there is no indication of anything coconut listed on the package.:confused:

Donna:)

A great report on the M & M's. I can't imagine what it is like passing, dodging
100-200 hikers on a trail. Talk about gridlock. Have you ever been to Baxter State Park? We've found it to be one of Maine's finest hiking areas.

You mentioned that Sue was eating Coconut M&M's after you completed Moosilauke. Check the ingredients, there is no indication of anything coconut listed on the package.:confused:

Thanks Donna,

There sure were a lot of folks headed for - I assume - Washington.

The package is very clear on the front and back about artificial flavoring - just like so many other products. Directly under the word "Coconut" is "artificial flavoring". There doesn't seem to be any attempt to mislead.

What's your point?

You are absolutely correct that so many food products are "artificially flavored" and that was the disappointment to us in the candy. If a product is listed as coconut, it should be the real thing. I guess we are living in the past.

You are absolutely correct that so many food products are "artificially flavored" and that was the disappointment to us in the candy. If a product is listed as coconut, it should be the real thing. I guess we are living in the past.

Artificial flavoring - So what! I like them. Happy food only needs to make you happy. Other stuff is intended to make you grow big and strong.

If this was important to me I'd carefully read the label to check the ingredients and if I didn't like what I saw, I'd pass and move on to some other Happy Food.

I'll plan to grow big and strong on something that's good for me, like Budweiser, or something similar.

:rolleyes: